1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Questions regarding nitrous/meth.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by F8LVENM, Aug 7, 2005.

1. F8LVENM

This may be a little out of the ordinary, but has anyone built a standalone return style fuel system for nitrous use only? If so Please follow along, and offer ideas, and advice for selecting parts/pumps!

I want to find a pump capable of sustaining the use of 100% methanol!

Which brings me to my next question....Has anyone experimented with using 100% methanol as a fuel for a wet nitrous system (standalone fuel source)?

I am contemplating building a standalone fuel system for a large 250-300 shot of nitrous (progressive). for an '03 Cobra.

With the uprise of the water/meth injection, and the added benifit of the extremly high octane properties of methanol. I began wondering of using meth as a fuel source for "just" the wet nitrous system...

I know there is a large difference in burn rate, etc. between methanol, and gas so I was also wondering if any of the chemistry educated could help me out with a formula to determine how much meth would be needed for the same output of a mild traditional race gas (100-104 octane)

Example...if it requires 30% more methanol to achieve the equivalent power output of "gas" for a 250 shot of nitrous I would need a fuel jet approximatly 30% larger for the "fuel side" of the nitrous system!

Thanks,
    Ken

2. jbcalhoun

I haven't done what you are talking about, but have gathered some parts to do the same. I was thinking If you used a second fuel tank for the methanol, let the fuel pump for the methanol turn on when the nitros is activated, then you might not need a return type fuel system on the methanol.

Sounds interesting anyway.

Brad Calhoun

3. F8LVENM

That is exactly what I am thinking.......the methanol for the nitrous would have its own tank, pump lines, everything, and pump would be powered when nitrous is armed!

Ken

4. Robert1320

I haven't done it. I would be concered about the n2o plate and weather it would have the needed flow cap.

5. F8LVENM

I would be using a modified NOSzle system, which is capable of 300 hp shot I believe!

If you mean the flow capacity of the jet to accomodate the extra needed meth. I would modify an existing jet (read: drill out) to achieve the flow I need, and all lines would be oversized supplying the NOSzles.

I just don't know what to size the meth jet to!

Ken

6. KEVINS

7. dsman

For one I wouldn't put a 300 HP hit of nitrous to your motor, the turbos HP sends have relatively small exhaust wheels and you'll get boost creep like a mofo, and will probably end up destroying your turbos via overspinning them.

Two, if you want the power of a pair of 57-trim's plus a 300 HP hit of nitrous, check out full-race's T3/T67 HO. It's a T67 comp wheel with a P-trim turbine in a standard T3 exhaust housing, so it will bolt up to your HP twin kit. It's proven to atleast 730 SAE WHP on a Honda, so 1400 rear wheel isn't out of the question for twins. If those are too laggy (which they really won't be, considering you're running an auto) i'd throw a small 75-125 HP hit of juice at it for quicker spool.

If you're dead set on a huge hit of nitrous, IMHO skip the meth. For the amount of fuel you're going to run it's not going to save you a whole lot of money by running meth over C16, and with C16 you can fill up the tank and forget it. Every time you want to go drive your car and potentially hit it with some juice you gotta refill the tank, and then flush it out again later. Methanol requires about twice as much volume for any given power level, compared to gasoline. I don't think the NOSzle solenoids would even be capable of flowing that much, and I would bet money the NOSzle solenoids are not alcohol compatible either.

8. F8LVENM

I probably need to change my sig....I still have the Eaton right now!
    But.....you offered alot of good insight to the thread...I hadn't thought about the compatability with the noszles, or the solenoids. Plus your probably right on the C-16....it would be easier to deal with than the meth.

BTW:
    Do you have a link to the turbos you mentioned?

Ken

9. dsman

10. John M

nitrousoutlet.com has a dedicated fuel system with a walbro pump, regulator and what-not that mounts in the stock battery location.
    Don't know if it's 700 dollars cool.