1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by AIS, Nov 3, 2007.

1. AIS

Alcohol Injection Systems, LLC would like to personally address and answer any questions members may have about the use and effects of water alcohol/methanol injection.

Let us know what your questions are so we can help better inform everyone about water alcohol/methanol injection and how to tune for it properly.

Have a question and want to speak to someone directly about water alcohol/methanol injection. Give us a call directly at 1.801.447.2559.

2. flynbrian

Yeah, How much $$$$$$$$$$$?? Does it typically cost to put together one of your systems for a street car with about 15 pounds of boost. (Blo-through carb) And does it mess with wide band O2 sensors?

3. AIS

Here is a link to our various trunk mount systems below.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Trunk-Mount-Systems/c37/index.html

Depending on the type of supercharger or turbocharger your using and the type of driving you do with the car (street drive, race only, etc) would determine the type of system we would use with your combination. Feel free to call us directly to discuss this in further detail. At that time we can find out more information about your application and what you could expect from a water methanol injection system.

With carbureted applications we will generally run pure water with no methanol. Since we can not easily go in and reduce power enrichment tables and so forth as we can we EFI applications we will continue to meter fuel entirely through the carburetor and not use methanol with the water injection mixture. That way if the water injection system runs out or fails we only lose the cooling effect and added octane enhancement and not lose any additional fuel being brought in by the water methanol injection system.

When using pure water it has little or any effect on the air/fuel so tuning will remain the same essentially.

4. wastingtime

What AFR should you shoot for when meth is on with a wideband.

5. AIS

Is this a carbureted or EFI application? Tuning varies depending on the type induction you have.

6. wastingtime

it would be an EFI application.

7. AIS

Give me call directly at 1.801.447.2559 Ext 204 so I can go over this with you over the phone. There are several things we will need to go over with you in detail.

8. AIS

Questions on water methanol injection post them here or feel free to contact us directly at 1.801.447.2559 for immediate technical help.

9. AidanN20

Whats the exact difference between the 3-levels of kits you offer for sale.

The descriptions of them doesnt make it clear what exactly each will do or not do. So i know what i am getting for the $$$ upgrade to the next one.

*Stage one*

*stage one deluxe*

Stage Two progressive*

*Stage two direct port*

10. AIS

A describtion of the system contents is listed with each one.

11. AIS

12. AIS

I requested for WASTINGTIME to call so I could go over in more detail and we could talk about this back and forth. Communication is much better this way.

Different fuels have different stoichiometric values. For example: methanol 6.4:1 and ethanol 9.0:1 and gasoline is 14.7:1. So far we have contiued to tune engines under gasolines stoich even though we are using two different fuels with two different stoichs.

When tuning your EFI or Carbureted motor you will still try to achieve your normal target AFR (this is your preference) you had before without the water methanol injection.

13. AIS

14. AIS

Were happy to help.

15. wastingtime

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I was wondering since the stoich is so much lower than gas.

16. AIS

Sure thing. Let us know how else we can help.

17. hezekiahmunson

I am putting an S400 on a carbed 454. Can I run water/meth instead of an air/air intercooler? On a carbed setup do you inject before the carb or drill into the intake manifold? I plan to run about 20psi max, can the progressive system be setup to start spraying after a certain psi, say 5psi or so so I dont spray while just tooling around on the street? Thanks for any advices and telling us about this.

18. AIS

Yes, you can use a water methanol injection system as an alternative to a air-to-air intercooler. Some of the advantages of using the water methanol injection are

Added octane enhancement it add's
    Lowers combustion chamber temperatures and EGT's
    Cools and protects the tops of the pistons
    Does not require extensive fabrication or modification to the vehicle to install

On your carbureted set up will you be using a carb hat or a carb box? If using a carb hat you can place the nozzles in any of the following positions (listed in order of preferred method first); in the piping just before the hat, drill and tap a 1" carb spacer or depending on the type manifold used you can insert nozzles in the plenum of the intake manifold.

If using a carb box (enclosure) you can either use a carb spacer or inject in the manifold.

Here's a picture of a customer's Vortech blwon small block Chevelle which runs 20-22psi on 93 octane non-intercooled.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

To effectively cover the wide range of boost such as what you entend to run, a progressive system is mandatory. With our controller, you can predetermine the the psi start point at which you want the system to activate. From there you are able to control the rate of increase allowing you to find a tune that works best for your application.

With one controller you can run it on anything from a naturally aspirated vehicle to a turbocharged/supercharged gasoline or diesel application regardless if it's carbureted or EFI. One controller does it all!

Compare for yourself and see the difference.

100% digital processor for lighting fast response

Quick, easy to use adjustment knobs

The only controller which allows you the ability to manually adjust and change the start pressure, max pressure and curve of the system.

Heavy-duty metal housing protecting the controllers CPU. Not plastic like other competitors controller.

Greater range of adjustment then any other controller on the market with the ability to run true 2d Map using MAP, MAF, TPS, EGT or AIT in addition to Boost.

Built in boost port for carbureted or EFI users who want to run a mechanical boost signal

Built in serial port for connecting laptop for enhanced tuning features such as running multiple inputs (2d mapping) at once, data logging, saving and locking your settings.

The only controller which allows you to use any of the following signals; Mechanical boost signal, EGT, TPS, MAP, Mass Air Meter, AIT, ACT or any other 0-5 volt sensor on your engine to base mapping of off.

The only controller with a built in data logger allowing you to record and review the input signals being ran into the controller. Perfect for those who want to review the systems performance during a racing event, towing, normal daily driving, Etc.

Built in status monitor which not only indicates when the system is activated but also performs a system function check everytime you turn your car on indicating the systems CPU is operating properly.

The only controller which comes with free Windows based software

Unlike the competitors "kits" our "systems" come pre-wired, tested & ready to go ensuring you will not only receive a fully functional system but also saving you the troubles of wiring the system yourself and potentially making a mistake and damaging the controller.

19. turbo pontiac462

im with munson except going on a 455 pontiac with nom ore than 10psi. would you consider water inj better or comparible to an A/A cooler? im dealing with a carb so would i qualify for just using the washer fluid? not quite ready so i dont want to pester u with question just stumbled across this and looking on your site it would look like the 200$ kit would be good for me. i know 10lbs is not alot but im working with 9.3:1 with an iron head on pump gas

20. AIS

Both offer the benefit of cooler air charger temperatures. However, with water methanol injection you also get the added benefit of the octane enhancement, helps stabilized combustion process, cools the tops of the pistons and lowers EGT's. When possible we prefer to use an intercooler in conjunction with a water methanol injection system for the best results.