1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Questions about Sensors on non computer car for laptop connection

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by 71Ragtop, May 17, 2013.

1. 71Ragtop

My car is a 71 and I want to put air pressure, fuel air ratio and temperature sensors on the engine and turbo.
    I am looking for any information about this such as are these USB sensors available in the aftermarket?
    If not how would I wire them for USB?
    Is there a canned program to read the data output instead of me kluging something together?
    My electronics knowledge doesn't go quite that far.
    I am search engined out on this one.
    Any help would be appreciated.

PS, if this is not the correct forum for this post, please let me know.

Thanks
    Tim

2. PrecisionTurboMustang

Almost all dataloggers use a serial connection. Your best bet is to buy a wideband controller that has the additional inputs you need like this http://www.zeitronix.com/

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

It's going to depend on the data logger, DashDAQ for example can wire directly to different wide band interfaces. Then there are USB phiget devices which will let you interface to a variety of data loggers/computers which handle USB, but you're on your own with those to get a USB logging program.

4. Matt Cramer

It sounds as if what you are looking for is a data acquisition system. Normally these are set up with a black box that reads a bunch of sensors and then sends the signal to your computer (or saves it to a built in SD card that you can go through later). We carry the Innovate Motorsports line of data acquisition products at our shop, and I would be happy to draw up a list of what to use for your build if you have a complete list of sensors you'd like to read.

5. 71Ragtop

Guys, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :2thumbs:
    This will save me some headscratchin'
    Tim

6. Drac0nic

The 14point7 wideband kits also included options for a tach and ADC input. At the point you take "raw" analog inputs though, you're also talking about having to convert them. Getting an LM-1 or similar is your best bet over all. There's a lot of R&D time and money that $4-500 bucks makes a bargain quite frankly.

7. Boost Engineer

"Advanced Tech, to me, can be electrons as well as Hardware and Chemistry (air/fuel ratios).

Not a "wire bender" personally so expect little feedback from me in this area. (;>)

Tom Vaught

8. joeqsmith

Before you open your wallet, I would make sure you figure out exactly what your wanting to do. How accurate, repeatable, what sort of resolution, how fast do you need to record. As you look at different loggers, you should look at how easy the software is to use. Most will offer a demo or full versions of their software so you can try it out.

I have an Innovate LM-2 AFR meter that has 4 external analog inputs and a separate RPM input. This requires a cable which is sold separate. They may offer different temperature and pressure sensors for this unit. It records about 10 times / second, which may be alright for what your trying to do.

Personally, I would look at http://www.racepak.com/