1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please help me id this turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ElevenCharlie, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ElevenCharlie

20180708_113810.jpg #ad
    20180708_113822.jpg #ad
    New to this forum and turbo, so bare with me. I got this thing in a trade and I can't find any info on it at all. It has a data plate w/model and serial and it's made by PSI, but their site is useless for my purpose. The inducer measures 42.3 mm and exducer is 59.7. It says "M24 A/R .42 on the compressor side and .86 on the other side.
    My questions are will this make low end power on a 5.3? What trim is it? Is it any good?
    Thanks for any input.

2. Traction Issuez

You put that on a 5.3 and it won't rev past 3500 rpm, if that. 42mm turbo is way too small for that much displacement. That's a turbo for something like a 1.8L engine.

3. ElevenCharlie

I knew it looked small. Based on the info, any idea what trim it is? I guess what I'm asking if I were to sell it, what would I say it was? I'm just starting to understand the benefits of using Turbos. I get the concept, I'm not that familiar with all the workng parts or even how size is figured. Is this even worth posting on CL for sale? Thanks for your inpiut.

4. 91turboterror

Make sure the impeller spins freely by hand and make sure the impeller doesn't hits the sides when you by hand check side to side play. Do a search on 5.3s on this forum to see what other people are using for turbos. 76mm turbos is the size some people use with a 5.3 . How much power are you looking to make? Do you have a fuel system to support that power level?

5. ElevenCharlie

At the risk of sounding like a complete ignoramus I'm still trying to figure out what you're measuring to get 76mm. I bought this 07 Chevy Crew Cab for my son, however he's decidedly uninterested in it which the topic for a whole nother forum. So, I'm going to put turbo on it and keep it. 500hp is my goal. I've searched and read a bunch of post and have tried to keep the dum questions to a minimum. Being a hard working C student type, I'm still perplexed about #1- what constitutes turbo size and #2- how to figure it. And #3- what do the model numbers mean? Yes, I'm the kid who had to stay after class and have everything broken down Barney style, so I do appreciate your patients.

6. Mnlx

Model numbers mean different things depending on the manufacturer. The most common sizing that is universally used is the compressor wheel inducer size (the part of the compressor wheel you can see). The turbine side can be sized by trim for older stuff, but many use the turbine exducer (again the part you can see). There is good page somewhere on the forum which explains it quite well, or turbobygarrett.com also has a couple pages on sizing a turbo.

87monte likes this.
  7. Disney Lincoln

It's a $100 ebay turbo from China. Holds it's value well and can probably still fetch near $100.

8. 91turboterror

Lol it would've perfect for the fast and furious fanboy looking to build a Spoon Honda lmao!