1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

White smoke coming from turbo area under the hood.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by v Sage Reaper v, May 4, 2018.

1. v Sage Reaper v

In June (2017), I was driving at about 45 mph and I blew my engine. Turns out, I threw a rod and one of the cams were broken into 2. I replaced all 4 pistons (forged) and rods, had my head rebuilt, and replaced a lot of other small parts with an overhaul kit. I was finally able to finish getting everything put on last week, but when we cranked the car (first time since last June), it would turn over but would not continue running unless I pushed the gas. I could still tell that something was wrong by the way it sounded (knocking rod or piston sound was gone), but the big thing was the white smoke coming from the turbo area. I have no idea what it could be, and helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

White = coolant, possibly head gasket or turbo seals.

v Sage Reaper v likes this.
  3. Traction Issuez

The "not running unless I press the gas" part is potentially connected to the idle air control, make sure it's plugged in. Is it running on year old gas? Is the turbo water cooled? Loose line could be to blame.
    issuez

v Sage Reaper v likes this.
  4. v Sage Reaper v

I'll check the gas and see if that could be it. I'm not sure if he changed it yet.

5. B E N

It would be good to know some background. What kind of car is this? Aftermarket or stock turbo? Carb or EFI? White smoke from the "turbo area" may or may not be related to idling issues, pictures might help.

6. v Sage Reaper v

Hey, it's been a while but im back at it. The white smoke issue fixed itself and the car not running was due to the cam that I replaced. It had the wrong sprocket. Now that it's been replaced, it runs pretty well. It's a little louder that it was at first. Now my next issue I need some guidance on. With everything that I've replaced (Same parts as before, just new), do I need another tune?

7. Traction Issuez

Only about a 99% chance unless of course your changes amounted to nothing more than a paint job, new brakes, LED lights and hella stereo.

8. v Sage Reaper v

Lol, gotcha. I figure as much but just wanted to be sure. Is it possible to revert back to stock turbo settings until I want to upgrade?

9. Traction Issuez

Just stay out of boost and get it tuned.

MCA and v Sage Reaper v like this.
  10. v Sage Reaper v

So the car ran ok coming back from the mechanic shop. Unfortunately there was a disconnected vacuum hose that he didn't know where to put. I'll upload the photos.

11. v Sage Reaper v

12. Traction Issuez

Based on the area it's in, it probably went to a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.