1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question on heads and intake for 74mm single 331 build

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Monkie, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Monkie

Well I'm shooting for 640rwhp on high boost and most of the time I want around 530rwhp. My question is what intake should i run with the 331? I want to rev the motor to about 6,500rpms and I was thinking about the Trickflow R box intake with a 75mm TB but I think it might be overkill for the low boost setting. This will be my daily driver also. What intake do you guys think I should go with? Also I've got AFR 165 heads on the car now, how much power will they make? Will they need porting or just sell them and get bigger heads?

2. svooh

Streetcar mostly?? Do either the regular Trick Flow R intake, the Holely Systemax, or the RPM II from Edelbrock. Keep the runners on the motor. You'll love the response.

The AFR 165's will do those power goals. If you can find a trade for the 185's or equivalent, they would be a better choice; but don't sweat it if you can't.

3. Monkie

Yes it is completely a street car which I mainly use to race people on the highway...kinda my domestic supra lol. Do you think I will need to do any porting to the 165s other than matching them to the bigger intakes? :huh:

4. svooh

Nope. That will suffice just fine/ Blend it as best you can. I think a 1250 gasket is plenty for your needs, the 1262 is huge.

You'll be amazed at what those small heads will do with a 74mm turbo.

5. Monkie

hehehe thanks man! Yea I think those little heads will make good power while keeping the midrange power there too! :2thumbs:

Would bigger exhaust valves help spool up or help at all? My friend asked me that yesterday and I didn't know the answer.