1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question for turbocharger rebuilders... leaky but ruined?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 5.0thunder, Jun 6, 2018.

1. 5.0thunder

My fox has a T-72 Ball Bearing turbo with a big, straight, nearly vertical drain line. One day I was making a hit and the feed line melted, leaking oil on the CHRA, causing smoke, so I immediately shut the car down. I pulled the line and saw it was clogged so I replaced with hard tubing and made sure it had oil flow. The turbo has no apparent endplay or radial play so I think the bearings are okay BUT now the car has a very slow drip from the downpipe after shutting it down.

If I find that the drain line or CHRA drain port is clogged and I clear it out, what are the odds this leak will stop? Are the seals ruined after oil has passed through them once or do they just stop leaking when backpressure is relieved?

2. Disney Lincoln

You saw Which line clogged? Drain or feed? Any restriction on the feed
    ?

3. 5.0thunder

The feed line was melted and clogged. I replaced with hard tubing so it doesn't happen again. The drain is a big 5/8 or 3/4" hose. What I'm asking, is if I find that there is a restriction in the drain somewhere (either in the CHRA or the hose or pan fitting) and I clean it out, will it likely solve the issue? Or will it always leak now?

4. twin68

U should be ok. May take some time to burn off the resieual oil though...