1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo 318 in an 88 Ramcharger 4X4

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Shanex-2, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Shanex-2

The Ramcharger is actually my Dad's truck. It has a stock 318 with TBI and TF727 trans . I have herd the TBI's don't work well with forced induction. However I am not opposed to home rolling a multiport system and or using megasquirt. I have an MS II in my 88 toyota mud truck and love it.
    I am planning on using this-
    stock or early magnum exhaust manifolds
    stock LA 318 block
    stock rotating assembly
    stock heads
    stock roller cam

I need advice and recommendations for-
    What size turbo? looking to use a single Master Power T-70
    What size blow off valve should I use?
    What size waste gate should I use?
    What kind of power could I expect to see with 8 psi boost? ( rough gestimate )
    What size injectors if I use Multiport?

The truck will be used off road and towing as well. It is on 32" tires and using 3.55 gears to keep some fuel economy. It is a 3 speed automatic after all :D

2. turboplymouth

High gears, stock heads, and cam, towing... I'd go smaller than a t-70 ideally/personally. 38mm wg will work and is common. I use some little cheapo b.o.v. from eBay. Probably make more power than u need... ;)

3. Hahns5.2

Opposed to a magnum swap? MS3X works out of the box with magnum sensors...

FWIW my 5.2 Magnum made 290whp/375tq on 7PSI from a little 56mm turbo through a 5 speed.

4. furious70

I agree a 5.2 maggie should be much cheaper way to get where you are going. You can probably find a running one for the cost of setting up an MPI intake/TB for the LA318.

5. CUUDAK

You may want to contact -Freak- who is a member here. He has a complete hotside setup for smallblock for sale. I think it even has the downpipe included.

6. Shanex-2

I have been kicking around the idea about going to the magnum 5.2 or at least the magnum heads and mpi intake . the biggest problem I have run into is the turbo sizing for my application . I am not building a race truck and don't want to buy multiple turbos to find the ideal one, So your post helps a lot .
    I am more familiar with the MS II as opposed to the MS III . I have a lean burn dizzy and HEI 8 module in anticipation of this project ( I have an HEI 8 module and MS II in my Toyota mud truck as well )
    I wasn't sure if the 38 would be big enough . as far as the b.o.v. I have a knock off Greddy type S that I can use.
    I am still in the info gathering stage so any other tips will be greatly appreciated

7. mpi_duster

For a single turbo setup I would do a master power t70. From there you need to decide your rpm range and when you want boost to come in, so that you can decide on the hotside.