1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question about tuning

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbosvt93, Dec 22, 2014.

1. turbosvt93

I have a built 359w with edelbrock 205 heads, f303 cam, and turbonetics 7868. I am using a fast xfi system and 60lbs injectors. Anyways I am trying to get it tuned by a buddy, and it doesn't want to idle with a high afr then 13.3. He says that turbo combos don't like to idle with anything higher. Is this true? This is my second engine, the first one washed the cylinders out due to excessive fuel.

2. Mnlx

Some will idle at 14-15:1, and many others won't. I've never had, or heard of a problem with a moderately rich idle. I personally wouldn't be worried with an afr in the 13's.

3. 20psiofevil

One thing I've noticed about tuning idle is tune it to what ever af it likes. What fuel? Stoich for 10% ethanol is 14.3 and 14.64 without ethanol.

4. turbosvt93

93 octane

5. turbosvt93

That's what he's doing

6. pe_turbo

Make the engine happy at idle and don't worry too much about the AFR unless its like 10.5:1 or something ridiculous. You can change the timing at idle and get some differences in AFR but again, it's all about making the idle as smooth as possible. The other thing is your 02 Sensor is more likely to see the effects of the exhaust pulses, reversion, etc. so it may or may not be totally accurate at that point.

7. M&M Turbochargers

our last set up idled at 13-13.5:1 at idle in park then in gear would be close to 14,, our combo was carbed,, cold idle was closer to 14 maybe a little more but when warmed up it would come down a little

8. tbird

cam has a lot to do with it.

Reversion can throw off 02 readings at idle. So as was said , give it what it wants.