1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4.6 tick

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 10secgoal, Sep 13, 2011.

1. 10secgoal

Wondering if you guys had any ideas. Had a theory and found bad parts. but didn't fit it and figured I'd get some help and come back later calm lol. Recent rebuild a guy brought in. Supposed to be OEM specs. Has a good sized tick in it. Sounds like lifter. Start it up the next morning and nothing. No noise. Once the oil warms up a little you can start to hear it again. Pull all lifters on the side it sounds like it's coming from and start to compress them in a vise. Find two bad. One will not collapse, the other collapses very easy. Replace them both with Ford units and fire it up. Sound almost louder than before, maybe my imagination. But this time it does it when the oil is cold, right off the bat. Under the car is pretty loud, but it's not a rod knock. Rod knocks don't go away or change with oil pressure/viscosity. but definitely louder underneath.Taken the blower belt off, disconnected the injectors one at a time, and nothing changed. It's Roush 2V engine. Still sounds like a lifter to me, but not sure how else to confirm. But once it starts, it doesn't go away, not even with RPM.

2. blown99

You sure it is not a piston to wall clearance issue. Mod motors are known for that type of noise. If the local rebuilder bored it for .0035 ptw and used a stock piston (those have a .001 ptw) then that may be the noise your hearing. Check the oil pressure with a gauge? If it is a lifter noise, possible low oil pressure to that head due to a partially blocked oil port. Oil ports can be blocked by RTV silicone, incorrect head gasket or improperly made headgasket, debris from a hot tanking process allowing previously failed component material to get pushed to the back of a galley restricting oil flow. Noise issues are always a pita.

3. 10secgoal

I start to wonder if it was piston to wall when he first brought it in. That left my head when I started it up cold and it was quiet. He also said it just started. I didn't check the oil with a gauge. The "roush" gauge isn't moving at any rpm though. Going to try it again later tonight or tomorrow, see if the noise is there cold again.

4. 99TTGT

Dustin ,can you take a video?

5. 10secgoal

Sure. I'll jack it up also so you can hear it under the car also.

6. jt351

Well a lifter that didn't move would not make any noise, only one with a collapsed spring would. If it is piston clearance it will be noisier cold but will shut up with heat, so the hotter the quieter. and "Rod knocks don't go away or change with oil pressure/viscosity" Is total BS Of course it does, had many many engines that had spun bearings that are quiet when oil is cold and thick but get oil up to temp, she will knock. I will put money on spun rod bearing, but if you're lucky you have a timing chain guide worn thru.

7. 10secgoal

Really, I have never heard a quite engine with a spun bearing. Maybe because by the time I get them they are fucked lol. But I will drain his oil. I don't think it's timing chain guide.....sounds like the rear of the engine. Even more so when your under it.

8. 10secgoal

Heard something different this time and caught it on tape. On ea side, it sounds like it's coming from that side. But a little more so on the passenger. Pretty loud under the car, and sounds like it's at the back of the engine for sure. Thinking it's cyl 3 or 4 now. But I started to bring the rpms up so you could here the tick go away. One of the reason I thought valve train. But I barely caught it knocking by feeling it in my hand and then heard it right after that. I manipulated the throttle and could feel it coming in my hand and could rev it just right. You can hear it's pretty fucking bad now. Oh, have pulled all the injector wiring one by one and doesn't change in tone or anything. Draining the oil for sure tomorrow now. LOL

9. jt351

ROD BEARING!!! plain and simple. just pull the motor now and save the headache. right now all it needs is a rod and a crank. You can pull trans and then pan but it is not worth it, it is already junk so no point, tooo much is missing from crank. I Just replaced a engine in a 2000 mustang, I limped it along for a year by putting 20w50, but if I hammered on it for a while the knock always found its way back, let her cool off and quiet again. took it apart all bearing totally shot and a 1/8 inch missing from one journal. Also my Lightning I bought had a totally spun rod bearing that was quiet only cause it was #1 next to oil pump. put new H-beams in it and a forged crank now it quiet again.

10. stangman9897

11. 10secgoal

I've never heard them come and go like that. I'll never forget this one lol. As soon as I heard it there was "aaaaawe fuck, there it is" in my head haha Wasn't doing that the day he brought it in as much as I tried. I had my hopes up for the guy.

12. 99TTGT

sound like the bottom end...

13. 10secgoal

Oh yeah, no doubt now.

14. blown99

Sounds like a rod bearing. You could always cut open the oil filter and inspect it for debris, just to show the customer the bad news before you yank the motor.

15. cdjnight

rod bearings do come and go with oil preaure, oil wieght, rpm and load. I'd be cutting an oil filter and seeing whats inside.

16. jmstekguy

sounds like my lightning right now...rod bearing for sure man :bang: