1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Want to reach mid 9's?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Turbo Oh2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Turbo Oh2

hey guys. i have an 02gt that i just recently blew the stock motor in. Im going to build it up this winter and next year i want to run a mid 9 second pass in it. The car is always going to be a street car so driveability and streetability is of utmost importance. I will sacrifice power to keep it streetable. The stock 2v motor is pretty much junk, it broke a piston and threw a rod through the block in 2 spots. The drivers side head is also all smashed up from crap banging around. After seeing all of that, i am debating doing a 4v swap. I just wanted some reccommendations on what i should do in order to keep it streetable and still reach my goal. This is my car build sheet and my ideas right now:
    -02 gt
    -hellion single kit
    -th400 transmission
    -built rearend with teamz components
    -meth kit/and intercooler

"ideas"
    -built 4v shortblock by ?????????
    -stock 4v heads/cams
    -99/01 cobra intake
    -upgrade my 2v hellion kit to the 4v version and buy a precision 76gts billet wheel turbo
    -upgrade fuel system *unknown on what to use*

2. Scott2001GT

U don't need a 4v but up to you.

Look at Glenns performance for fuel.

My goal is a 9 second 2v. Weight reduction if your friend.

3. Turbo Oh2

i got some price quotes for a built 2v and they were alot more money than getting a built 4v shortblock and finding a set of stock heads/cams and i can make more power going with the 4v setup. Im not goin to turn my car into a racecar by gutting the interior and stuff just to make it fast. i want it stock appearing

4. Scott2001GT

Mine is not gutted either. Rear seat sell there.

Granted I am not there yet but a high CR engine, precision 82mm, t brake, will see me my 9s

5. Scott2001GT

To add it won't take a 82mm to run 9s but a 7x's wil work too

6. racesloth

I'll be different here - you can go fast and have good drivability

Junk yard Truck LS based 6.0 and S480 turbo (would be enough to go low 9's and high 8's without too much trouble) - yeah it is a Chevy but do a little searching - it would be badass and be very different when you pop the hood...

I tell you - if I was doing it all over again (and didn't have all my money sunk in a 351w stroker) - that is what i would do without a second thought

Or even cheaper get a junkyard 5.3 with 4l60 transmission and put a MP76 on it. There is a guy on here with a 5.3 twin MP 70's and he went mid 8's in an old Fairmont...he just swithced to twin 76's

7. 99TTGT

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128349.0

8. jdl2z

May as well run it off a cliff if your going to put an LS motor in it. Stick with the 2v and save some cash. Put an 80mm on it with a GOOD suspension and transmission setup then do weight reduction and let it fly into easy 9 second passes

9. racesloth

How do you really feel? I guess every Ford with a power glide should be run off a cliff and every Chevy with a 9" rear end should go over too.. I know this is an old saw - but I used to feel like you too...

The OP's orig motor is junk - so he is going to have to drop some coin if he wants to go 9's... The 4.6 is just not oriented to be hit hard (I know that is a can of worms) Just like there is a reason cars run PG's and 9" rear ends there is a reason LS-based entries are so popular. I like my 383W and don't get me wrong. I don't really want to drop a chevy in either. But If I had to start from scratch I would go LS all the way. To each his own though. But I already crossed the line by putting a TH400.

To the OP - check this post out
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149781.msg1494778#msg1494778

10. Turbo Oh2

sorry im not going to put a LS in it. There are way to many LS turbo cars in my area. Its going to stay a ford motor.

For those of you saying keep it a 2v, How are you suggesting i have it built? Will anything over a 76mm turbo be streetable? It just seems logical and cheaper to me to buy a new 4v shortblock and some used 4v heads and its done???

11. Scott2001GT

Logical yes but I like underdog status.

12. Turbo Oh2

pretty impressive. i tried to scan through your parts list quickly instead of reading all 25 pages. Could you give me a breakdown on what parts are in the budget motor? I think you said it was the following:
    -teksid block
    -03/04 cobra heads/cams
    -manley h beam rods
    -manley pistons???

13. 99TTGT

and cobra crank