1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My set-up is tuned but how much RWHP is it making?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Lingles Total Performance, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lingles Total Performance

I have a rough idea of the kind of RWHP I am currently making but just wanted to mabey get a few more opinions. I'm tuning the new set-up on my street car with an Andrerson IV PMS/ Flash ACQ so I really have no need to go to the dyno and waste money. I just drive right out of my driveway onto a pretty calm 3-lane mountain road, make a few passes and comeback and read the data. Kinda wanna know how hard I can push the envelope before I set a bomb off under the hood :D I'll give a rundown of all the vital info. Feel free to comment on any component that can be altered or changed. Right now I'm shooting for 550rwhp.

Engine combo & turbo system

306 c.i. (stock block/ forged rotating assembly) 9:1 comp, F-cam, AFR 185 heads, Felpro 1133 MLS headgaskets (just for the record) ported GT-40 lower/ Downs box upper, Accufab 90mm t/b, 60lb injectors, dog ring 5-Speed trans.

Garrett Gt-4294 70mm (1.01 a/r) 3.5 downpipe split into dual 3" with flowmaster 1-chamber mufflers, NO INTERCOOLER, 90mm PMAS blow-thru MAF

Ignition and tuning

J4J1 95' cobra ECU, 3923 plugs @ .028", currently 10psi peak, 17* timing @ 10psi, 140* intake temp @ 6,000 rpm/10psi (IAT sensor right before throttle body) AFR pretty steady around 11.3 from 3,500rpm @ 100%tps and peaks at 11.9 @ 6,000rpm, PUMP GAS, 42psi fuel pressure (static)

Thats about it. Whatever I gotta do to avoid dyno costs to make a safe 550hp at the wheels, Please do tell!!!

2. Disney Lincoln

Rough guess....

I would say you're probably around 450-475rwhp right now. Reason being is a conservative tune. You can turn it up to say 16# and run some more timing and hit that 550rwhp mark.

3. stack

Add timing, more boost, better fuel or an additive to bump some octane (or meth injection)

And crank the boost... I would go meth, better fuel, and timing... she is running a little rich and has ton of potential!

I wouldn't be surprised to see 600+ if you take a little precaution and a get a little aggresive

4. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i would guess around 450 to 475 as it is right now

5. BreakDancer

How the Hell are you guys making educated guesses at the OP's HP? I could see if there were track times but components and AFR's???

6. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i did it based on other people combos.hes asking so people are giving opinion.hes got the size motor,heads,cam,intake,turbo timing and boost so yea its easy for people to give an est

7. 302f150

I would guess around 475rwhp now. Just a rough guess. You do realize that at 550rwhp the stock block is just a time bomb right? Your nice forged internals might end up in a bunch of different places and worth a whole lot of nothing

8. BreakDancer

Ok, that makes sense.

9. Lingles Total Performance

Yes anything that has to do with forced induction on a stock shortblock @ 550hp will end in nothing short of a horror story. Havent heard that before!!! Come on I know its gunna blow sometime sooner or later but I wanna know that I had a good tune on it and it was just too much HP, thats all. Theres no room for an a/a intercooler anywhere on the car using 3.5" charge tubing so I'll include a pic and let everyone decide on that one. Meth would be a really nice choice but I'd really have to change alot in the tune cause the 95' cobra ecu im dealing with now is the biggest pain in the ass and even the littlest changes make every area trickle down the spout. Im thinking 14psi/ 14* degrees timing and 100oct. streetblaze for this weekend? or can I get away with 16-17*

DSC00226.JPG #ad

10. spoolinranger

I'm guessing 450rwhp at the most, I would set timing to 18 and boost to 12 and add more fuel and leave it alone,< Thats far as I would push it and call it safe, Or you'll be needing a whole new engine after that block splits and kills your pretty forged parts inside it.

11. 10secgoal

Nice setup !!

12. Lingles Total Performance

ahhhhh it's all junk inside that stocker! haha, just a used SCAT 4340 crank, 4340 I-beams and a set of 9:1 trw's out of the summit catalog. When the time comes it'll just be a good excuse to get a nice Bennett shortblock :chacha: Just not that long ago I switched to 60lb injectors which was overkill... the reason I say that is because when I was running the 42's I had to take so much fuel out of the fuel table under boost that it wasnt making sense to me. If anyone is familiar with the Anderson IV pms's I had the boost/fuel table set to take out -14 points of fuel starting @ 1psi and working its way up to -28 points of fuel @ 15psi max on the table (100 points is 100% I believe). It didnt make any sense that I had to take that much fuel out of it with 42 lb'ers to even get close to an 11.0 AFR??? This was with 42psi (1:1 referenced) fuel press, pump gas & 11psi. Why though? Anderson suggested that with 42lb'ers with my set-up I should leave the boost/fuel table alone and only utilize the 1:1 fuel press reference. Yea, went and made a couple pulls & the car wouldnt even get out of the 9.5 AFR range! Finally I decided it was time to go to 60's after I couldnt even get a steady consistent a/f plot in the 11.0 range without seeing 98% duty cycle. Anyway here's one of the sheets from my data logger with one of the last pulls with the 42's. Please comment on why the hell I was also getting a linear boost plot like a f****** centrifigal supercharged set-up. Had a 9lb spring in on this run with a turbonetics 45mm racegate. Boost creep???

lastscan1.jpg #ad

13. Lingles Total Performance

Everyones input is greatly appreciated & if anyone is willing to give a little more to try and help me get this "red headed step child" sorted out and mabey a satisfactory tune on it before I pull my hair out would make my year!!! :D I'm only 21 and this is my first motor & turbo set-up that I ever built with the intensions of feeling like a million bucks after I was able to tune it on my own as well. But things arent working out here at the end of the road. Honestly I'm broke as f*** and cant afford a $500 dyno day with some guy around here that doesnt know how to tune a PMS any better than I can, especially on a 94'-95' cobra's which are know for being "RED HEADED STEP CHILDREN"... hell my good friend Leonard Long (Owner/ G-Force tranmissions) blew both headgaskets on his procharged dart 331 95' cobra street car just creeping up and down the road because the tune wasnt spot on.

14. Disney Lincoln

My good friend has a 95 Cobra and the AFM PMS system, the older like Gen 2 system. A few years ago I built a motor for it and put in 42# inj and a LMAF. Anderson (and everyone on the tuning forum) said that it wouldn't work and I would need a chip to work the LMAF and then I could tune with the PMS from there.

Long story short, it works. It's not as good as a QH would be, but it runs and drives pretty close to factory like. He then took it to dyno the car. Those guys played with it and lost some power and never could get it back, made 470rwhp at the time. Fast Fwd to a couple months ago and I get it back and mess with it again. They had changed a lot of my settings in there and the car drove like crap, they thought the dynow as the place to change all this stuff and not the street. Car sucked to drive. Luckily I wrote down everything I had from before and was able to get it back running right. I ran it at the track and with their tune went 12.2@117. On my tune it went 11.6@123. Street tuned.... With seat of the pants and a WB02. A little common sense goes a long way also.

One tip i'll give you is to not use the boost tables so much. Rick Anderson told me to not use them AT ALL. My case was a Vortech blown car so the turbo is a little diffrent in that it can make decent boost at lower throttle opening percentages. But still, you really only need to add some fuel in to those areas in the boost tables. The rest of it should be taken care of in the WOT tables. Chances are you're going to be at/near WOT more than you're PT and high boost. Just food for thought.....

15. PrecisionTurboMustang

I wouldn't even run one chamber flowmasters on a Turbo car.

[​IMG]#ad

16. slither

I would bet its lower than you think. There's tons of hp in the tune. Can you read the inj dc?

17. Lingles Total Performance

Yeah heres a short pull from 100% TPS starting @ 4,000rpm into a 3rd-4th gear powershift on the highway. Duty cycle peaked @ 92% @ 6,350rpm and 12.0 A/F on the wideband.

lastscan4444.jpg #ad

18. Lingles Total Performance

That last post/ run was on 42lb injectors. I stuck them back in yesterday to drive the car cause I'm yet to send back the MAF sensor to get recalibrated for the 60's. Here's that same pull on the highway but with air/fuel, timing, & intake temp. graphs

lastscan1212.jpg #ad

lastscan1313.jpg #ad

lastscan1414.jpg #ad