1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo 331 Compression ratio and cam? Any help please?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by yosimdisam, Nov 30, 2011.

1. yosimdisam

First off any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a 95 convertible car, TKO 600 trans, 333ci R block, eagle forged 4340 steel crank steel h beam rods 0.040" over diamond pistons, F cam, howards link bar lifters, trick flow twisted wedge heads stage 3 ported by TEA Ferra 2.05 intake valves 1.60 exhaust 1.6 rocker arms holly systemax intake 70mm tb. Car has a fast XFI system on it. HP turbo kit 76mm .96 A/R 3:31 rear gear.
    I busted a head gasket and damaged 4 pistons so its at the machine shop, Everything else looks good. I was wanting to change the cam to something a little bigger and better so I called comp cams and this is the cam they recommended.
    Dur @ 50 232 intake, 224 ex, lift 565in 555 ex 115 lobe sep. My current comp ratio is just a hair over 9 to 1 and I was thinking about ordering some thicker head gaskets to get the CR down a little. What do yall think? Its a street car mainly used for highway cruising and roll racing. What do yall think about the cam and what CR should I shoot for? Please any help will be appreciated.

2. turboexplorer

i run mine c.r at 8.75 had to use an .080 mls gasket to get it and havent had any problems have a comp custom grind stick in it and am okay with it but want a lil more than what it provides the rpm range is great but i would go with a lil more duration on my next grind .its 615 in 635 ex 224 in dur 232 ex dur on a 115 lsa

3. leeperryracing

damn, that cam must be rough on valve train parts too with such high lift and short duration...those rocker arms must sound like a sewing machine with the steep ramp rate of that cam :D

4. yosimdisam

I don't know a whole lot on cams that's why I called comp and that's what they recommended and that's why I'm asking all of y'all,
    I'm thinking it would be wise to bring the CR down a little to maybe what yours is or something close.

5. Mnlx

Some more info would help...... what fuel? intercooled? what turbine wheel on the 76? I personally would keep the cr, and run meth, or e85 if you need to.

6. SN 94cobra turbo351w

go with a F cam and call it a day

7. Turbofox89

Agreed, I really like mine, and for the price they are hard to beat. I'm also running 9:1 comp on my 332 which makes it drive nice out of boost as well.

8. Stangguy

If you are cheap, get a F cam. If not, call commotion. Go 9.5-1 so you can run pump or E85

9. yosimdisam

I usually run 93 but I will have a tune for 110 or E85, Yes its intercooled, im not sure what wheel it is, its the upgraded turbo hp sells if that helps,

10. yosimdisam

Ive already got the F cam, I was wanting something better, Im not going with the cam comp has told me about, Ive been talking to a friend and ive got another cam with out that split duration, Ill post the numbers when he calls me back.
    So your saying I need to raise the compression to 9.5?
    Who is commotion and whats there number?

11. Stangguy

Auto spell got me..CamMotion, just google and give them a call. Steve Morris had me go 9.5 as a good compromise for running either fuel.

12. xr8tt

Seeing you've damaged pistons ...
    I would look at tune first ..
    232 on 115 LSA would idle nice...

13. Mnlx

That reverse split duration is to help combat reversion with hotside that is a bit more restrictive. Back pressure info is nice to have when looking for a cam........