1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SHIMMING WASTEGATE SPRING vs. MBC

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BigL350, Oct 19, 2006.

1. BigL350

What do you guys think is a better way of adjusting boost, shimming the wastegate spring or a simple MBC? I don't really plan on changing max boost once I find the max I can safely run on pump gas. Any performance pros or cons? This would be on a Tial 44mm if that makes a difference. Any other tips or advice for either setup? Thanks guys.

2. blacksaleen95

manual boost can be made cheap and easy.... i'd imagine shimming the wg would work but would be a royal pita....

3. mystang

the advantage i see with shimming the wastegate is simplicity, compared to boost controller which adds more hose barbs and chances for shit to go wrong, but if you never want to change it i would say shim it.

4. duplox

I'd rather do a mbc. Taking a wastegate apart a bunch of times to figure out exactly how much shim you need would be a PITA. Plus you run the risk of putting too much shim in and overboosting. Its a lot easier to fine tune with an mbc.