1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Camshafts, which is better

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Juiced5o, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Juiced5o

I have two cams to choose from, I'm pretty new still to all the turbo stuff
    The 1st is a Ultradyn hyd. roller 232/236 @ .050-----.565/.565-- on a 112
    the 2nd cam is a Comp. hyd roller NX282HR-236/[email protected]/.580-on a 114

2. boostedfoxbody

Well, the going "science" with turbo cams is that they favor the intake on duration and lift.

The Ultradyn cam seems to be a better choice, but ideally an LSA of 114 would be better.

Hopefully one of the cam gurus on this site will chime in with their recommendation. More than likely they'll tell you to sell those cams and get a custom. :noidea:

3. engineermike

I like the first one. It hasn't been proven that overlap is that bad for a turbo. Conversely, every dyno test I've seen showed an improvement everytime overlap was added.

Mike

4. CW25

The only thing I hate about more overlap is the weak idle. The power is just as good if not better as with a similar cam less overlap. Drivability is worse.

5. svooh

both are probably more serious than you (as a newbie to turbos) would need. Try a stocker.

Really, it's gonna depend on alot more than just "which one of these is better..." get my drift.

Tell a little about the goal, size of motor, turbo (s), etc... And you shouldn't limit yourself to two cams. If that's all you got lying on the shelf, sell 'them and get a turbo-cam.

6. Rotax

I'll be so inovative...... throw a F303 in there!
    They work, and are inexpensive.

7. Juiced5o

I actually have a F303, I know Brent made a ass-load of power with one. I aquired it after the engine was togther though......I installed the first cam, so I can have it in KCIR on the 4th of November