1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pushing for 10psi. How's my tune?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boostphreak, Oct 8, 2006.

1. boostphreak

I have 2 ranges colder spark plugs, 10° initial timing, .5° of retard per pound of boost. Air fuel reads 10.6 at 7-8psi. This is all on a stock block with Cobra upper and lower intake, 70mm T/B and 1.7 Cobra roller rockers. Think that's safe enough?

2. 1sicpny

Sorry but you won`t get into the tens on that combo, need heads and other mods. Sorry my bad read it wrong I thought it said 10 seconds.

3. boostphreak

Haha, yeah! I've got a long ways to go to get 10's. :D

4. Tgbstang90

Well i think you spoke to soon...we do not have enough info to determine if you will run 10s. Such as transmission, gears, fuel system, turbo kit, etc.?? I have a bone stock 302 including stock heads, cam, intake, and TB. My car runs high tens with no tune @ 10lbs. But anyways, you should get your A/F ratio up to around 11.5. As far as the retard timing box goes, i dont run one. I just have my distributor locked at 22 degrees until i get a chip and the chip will take car of that.

5. boostphreak

Everything is stock except for the upper and lower intake and fuel system. It is a Cartech Street Sleeper kit. What's a good gear ratio that isn't too radical for a turbo setup? I was thinking 3:55s.

6. Cld12pk2go

I have 2.73s, which work great. Most people will say 3.23 or 3.55 though.

I would get your AFR up into the 11.5:1 ballpark.

7. 4-71/z-28

only one way to find out ;) 2 more ounds will probably lean you out to where you want to be, the beauty of turbo's turn it up the the afr's are right :chacha:

8. boostphreak

I have this lean issue when I just barely give the car gas my AFR gauge maxs out on the lean side and starts bucking and sputtering until I give it a good amount of gas. Any reason it's doing that? Also, If I get on it really good and put it in neutral it will die too. Is it because it just doesn't have a good computer tune?

9. boosted88coupe

try to increase fuel pressure seems like you are seeing boost under part throttle... and it can't compensate... if you have a tuning device. ad more fuel in the part throttle fuel tables and maybe pull a little timing out of it... also make sure the throttle position sensor is calibrated and not reading wide open throttle and bringing in the timing before you have the boost to generate the fuel pressure needed to compensate... if you are using a boost sensative regulator.
    I hope it helps buddy
    brandon