1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Would i benefit with an f-cam over this custom cam?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by nyctony, Sep 10, 2013.

1. nyctony

I have a 93 fox stock block with ported 185cc heads ported victor 5.0 efi, bs3, fb aode w/ protorque revolution converter (lock/unlock converter), b&g kit with a mpt70. it put down 450rwhp/450rwtq with an unlocked converter.
    my cam specs are
    Intake Exhaust

Lobe Lift: .378' .373'

Gross Valve Lift 1.60 Ratio: .605' .598'

Duration @ .050' Tappet Lift: 224* 230*

Lobe Separation: 112*

Recommended Intake Centerline: 109*

Specs at 109 Degree Intake Centerline:

Valve Timing at Open Close

.050' Tappet Lift: Intake: 3* BTDC 41* ABDC

Exhaust: 50* BBDC 1* ATDC

my question is would i benefit with a f-cam over this custom cam.. i know peak numbers may not be that far off however will the powerband be better?

also a side question i noticed many 5.0 turbos have some crazy high torq numbers compared to their hp... any reason for this?

2. jridenour31

Yes. That small turbine won't like a cam with that much overlap.

As far as the torque numbers, they make all their power at a low engine speed. If peak power was pushed out farther, hp would be higher and more in line with the torque.

3. nyctony

Is it worth it to upgrade the turbo to a mpt76 and drop an f cam in?

What am I looking at as far as a change?

4. Gen1SVE

Not if it is a P trim turbine, it would be the same turbine as your mp70. If it was a Q trim it would be a little better. You want a S-trim turbine found in a Precision 72-78GTS, Garrett GT42, S400 with the small 83mm turbine, or similar. Then your stock block is on borrowed time, even though it is on borrowed time with the mp70.

5. nyctony

So f the turbo swap and do the f cam...

Just curious why the custom cam I have is inferior to the f cam....

And what kind of characteristics are granted from using the f cam over this custom.

Thank you for the replies!

6. Drac0nic

I believe he is saying swap the turbo not the cam, because the turbine is restrictive to the heads and cam you are running.

7. nyctony

I got that gist however, is he saying I should change the cam as well or just stick a bigger turbo on with the current cam?

8. Gen1SVE

Do the bigger turbo first. When you upgrade the block put a turbo friendly can in it.

If you are bored and have the F- cam sitting there put it in when you put the larger turbo on.

9. nyctony

Does it pay to upgrade the turbo? For one thing a f cam swap will be much cheaper. On another note I can't find any used turbines for cheap either.

Why would you still use the f cam if I moved to a bigger turbo?
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to make efficient upgrades and learn. Thanks for all the help guys.

10. Gen1SVE

With your current combo, the block is the limiting factor, The F cam will work better than the cam you have. The F cam has made 1000hp on a built 306 with a large frame 88mm turbo. The Cam and turbo go hand in hand.

The F cam will work better than your custom cam in your current combination.

11. nyctony

12. Gen1SVE

That is a great turbo for your combination and will work on a built engine with more cid.. I would use it on a street car up to 350cid, below 6000rpm.

13. nyctony

Just for some clarification. Would this change alter my power band or only peak numbers.

14. RyanMayo

It will spool slightly worse, but breath much better on the top end. 100% worth it in my opinion.

15. Gen1SVE

^ 100% Agree.

16. nyctony

Little update picked up a precision billet bb 7675.

Boost can in faster and harder and my precision 46mm wastegate couldn't keep up. So I added another and got rock solid boost. Now at 11psi it put down 495/441 on a mustang dyno.here's the graph. On 6psi it made 415rwhp.

Before the change it put down 450/450 at 9psi on a mustang dyno different shop.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403987759.723498.jpg #ad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403987759.723498.jpg #ad