1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pull timing based on load scaling? or......

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by devo9er, Jun 25, 2014.

1. devo9er

Hey guys, finally get my build running! 306 gt40p motor all boltons with a gt45 diy kit, blow through pmas slot maf, Tweecer rt tuning. I have all the basics figured out in tweecer but I'm unsure the best way to dial my timing back.

The car likes to idle around 14 degrees base so I don't really want to retard my whole curve. I want to maintain driveability. It makes sense to me that as load increases, that's when the motor will be theoretically building boost, right? So if I pull a few degrees from the sea level table etc above like .7 load, that's kind of the right direction? Do I need to increase the table to go past 1.00 load? Under boost, won't it be above 1? I'm looking to keep this motor together, so 7-8psi should be good for now...any recommendations on total timing to start?

Nobody answers questions over at eec, and I can't stand the yahoo tweecer forum, it's crap.

I'll get a build thread started in the next few days, just haven't had time yet!

Thanks guys, soo much good knowledge here

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yes, you do need to scale beyond 1, how high depends the overall VE of the engine at any boost level. And that's assuming your MAF doesn't peak first. And the load with failed maf needs to be redone as well. What's the PCM code? Let me know and I'll post up some values to start with.

3. devo9er

Thanks ken, It's an A9L 90' foxbody. I'm still using caledit and calcon for now.

4. devo9er

The maf is the hpx, should give me plenty of headroom.

5. sarg

Definitely with load as if you pull enough out of the whole table it will be pretty lazy and inefficient out of boost.

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Oh, earlier than I thought. A9L is pretty basic, they don't give you a lot to work with, the plus side is there's less to mess up, lol.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Raise the idle speed to 750-800.

2. Change your WOT spark table to this:
    0 RPM 14 degrees
    1000 RPM 15 degrees
    1800 RPM 19 degrees
    2150 RPM 22 degrees
    2600 RPM 21 degrees
    3500 RPM 20 degrees
    5000+ RPM 19 degrees

That's to start, then work your way up based on testing. You can usually away with more then 19 at the top end, but start there.

You can use your final values to scale and fill in the spark altitude and spark sea level tables.

Oh, almost forgot, get the MAF dialed in first. I assume you have a wide band and can data log your A/F?

7. devo9er

Yes sir, I have an Aem wideband. I haven't edited anything fuel related other than changing the maf curve to the one generated on the hpx spreadsheet. It has 36lb injectors. It seems pretty good now, idling right around 13. Haven't drove it yet so that's all I've seen so far. I haven't figured out how to deal with the lambse settings yet. One other thing I haven't resolved is why in calcon I'm only logging the drivers side values; hego1, lambse1, kamrf1, pulswidth1 etc...I have both in my data logging payload. Something not configured right? Also my kamrf always shows 1.000 and never changes. Shouldn't that be bouncing all over the place once in closed loop? I've verified I have the banks set correctly. I just put plates and insurance on it for the first time since last august lol. hoping to make a few test drives this weekend and get some tuning sorted out!

thanks

8. TTF/Ken Staff Member

If KAMRF is stuck at 1.0 you probably have adaptive turned off.

9. bigblocknotch

Using timing table scaled to load and turning OFF all WOT/RPM based timing scalers is best. You really dont want timing on a WOT scale with turbo's as they can generate boost early at part throttle. Just leave the timing tables stock below 85% load if that provides the best drivabilty for you, and adjust everything above that for boost. Rescale all your load tables for up to 170%, which will prevent the load scales from maxing out(Bad For EEC's) . If you have never been over to eectuning.org, its a great place to learn tuing for the EEC's.