1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PTK Sn95 Review

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Alex332, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Alex332

Hey guys, just figured i'd leave some feedback here to help everyone out who is considering a turbo kit.

Ok now down to business..

Background on car
    '95 Cobra
    42lb injectors
    FTI cam

I'll have dyno numbers and plenty of pictures when finished for everyone to see

November 25- called and talked to Greg @ PTK. Decided on a the 'Super Saver Kit w/ t64e upgrade' Total came to around 2800. Decided against the coating since PTK warranties from rusting for life.

fyi - super saver kit is basically just the whole kit w/o the intercooler

December 1 - started having second thoughts on buying a kit w/o an intercooler, this coupled with the fact that i saw PTK's advertisement in the Sponsors special offer section advertising free shipping, so i called up PTK and changed my order to the sn95 street kit w/ t67 and intercooler.

December 4 - Called Greg and explained to him that i wanted to keep my Pro-m univer (blow-through meter) inspite of the fact that the PTK uses a draw-through meter. He explained that all that would be have to be done would be splice my MAF into one of the turbo up-pipes.

I have since decided against cutting up my new 3k turbo kit for a stupid MAF.

December 11 - Emailed Greg to check on status of kit and make sure everything was going smoothly. As of December 14 no response.

2. Snipe656

Ummm ... how is that possible when today is December 13th or is that a typo?

3. Alex332

sorry it was a typo, but i can guarantee you i won't get an email from them on a sunday

4. SoL_93GT

Cool can't wait to see pics, I think if they were the same price after factoring all the extras you get with the HP kit, I would have gotten the PTK just for the draw through mass air. Easier to tune. Thats a sweet kit. Good luck.

Briane

5. Snipe656

I think they usually are the same price when you factor in the extras and factor in a lot of guys on here seem to get those PTK kits for less than what is displayed on websites as pricing. Then again if HP cuts deals like that all the time too, it would be hard to compare.

6. Alex332

i got my kit for a little over 3200 shipped, not bad considering what a vortech goes for.

what does one of the HP kits go for?

7. Snipe656

Their stage 1 is $1k more but comes with a C&L meter, 42(?) lb injectors, Jet Hot coating, SN95 fan and some other differences standard.

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/79-93 Mustang.htm

A full Vortech kit should run you less than $3200 or at least they were a good bit less than that on Summit a couple months back.

8. Alex332

ok well i found the prices on HP's website, looks like the price is 4200, but that includes 42lb injectors and a 76mm MAF, Fuel pump and coating.

so thats 1000 over what i got my PTK for

i picked up my 42's for 125 bucks, and a fuel pump can be had for 100 bucks.

So even if you delete the 42's, fuel pump and MAF from the kit it still retails for 565 more than the PTK.

The HP kit only comes standard w/ a 60mm turbo as well, i got my PTK w/ a t67. So to compare you might as well upgrade the HP to the t66 (plus 500). So that brings the total to 1065 more than the PTK even if you delete the fuel pump, maf, and injectors.

Looks like a no brainer to me.

But maybe i'm missing something, maybe some of the HP guys can chime in and let us know how much they paid.

9. Alex332

im sure a vortech kit does retail for less than 3200, as it should.

I look at my PTK kit like this.
    T otal Price: 3200
    T67:-1000
    Intercooler: -750
    So basically i paid about 1500 for all the headers, piping. Bypass valve, wastegate, lifetime warranty, all the silicone connectors.

I don't think thats bad, and if i had to do it again i would.

10. Snipe656

The HP has bigger tubing, not that you need it for the sized turbo you are looking at on your PTK but that is the only other difference I can think of offhand. Was your PTK kit for 3200 including coating?

11. Snipe656

That is true on the Vortech, though I do not see why a T67 is $1000 and I could see how a big IC could be to that point. Only reason I say that is I paid I think $650 each for my turbos new and they are 600hp turbos and tangenial housings like what you would be using, so a little down on the power abilities but I would not think it costs $350 more to make some more power, then I paid $350 for my IC core that needs end caps but the quotes I have gotten have not been near $400.

Regardless, $3200 is a very good deal, especially if you were to look at a Vorturd with a set of long tubes.

12. Alex332

The reason i quoted the t67 @ 1000 is because on PTK's website it they sell it seperately for 1200, so i just figured there was a slight markup so i went ahead ahead and took some of the price off b/c i know this price was inflated so, although i did not know it was inflated almost 600 dollars..ya learn something new everyday

i quoted the intercooler @ 750 b/c that is the cheapest air/air that PTK sells

i think either kit is a good deal, if you like to buy a kit and have nothing else to buy, HP looks like to place to go.

If you want a good deal, and you like to shop around for other good deals on necessary parts (Inj/Fuel Pump etc etc.), ptk is the company to choose.

Snipe - no my PTK did not include coating. I may chose to do this later, but i just wanted to get the kit in and not wait the extra 2 weeks on the coaters. Also thanks for your responses, i hope this thread will be helpful to anyone looking at purchasing a kit.

13. Alex332

also just noticed one more thing about the HP kit, seems that you comes w/ it's on h-pipe so to speak, whereas w/ the PTK you have to purchase a Long-tube H-pipe (150) so add another point for HP there

someone correct me if i'm wrong

14. Snipe656

I see on the turbo pricing, they might be priced competively since I have never shopped around for that specific turbo. Different brands can change the pricing radically. Plus a T67 is probably good for more power than the turbos I have.

I would get the kit, make sure it all fits and then get it coated. that way if any mods are needed for whatever reasons you do not screw up a nice coating.

Also there are a few kits on the market that come complete if that is the way someone wants to go. Plus all those you can order in the same trim as the PTK, so it all works out in the end for everyone.

Get your email response?

15. Alex332

Good idea on the coating, and as of about 1:45 on the 15th no response.

16. Snipe656

Yeah, that is what I am going to do on my car in regards to coating. I coated my old Cartech kit in the same fashion and it prevented many scratches or damage to the coating in the long run.

17. SoL_93GT

Ok Pro Turbo Kits is advertising their kit with a T67 for $4200 and you got it for $3200? Can everyone get that price or did you work out some special deal? I haven't spoken to Proturbokits, I was just going off the prices they have on the website. And for the same money you can get an HP kit that comes with:

240 injectors
    85 fuel pump
    110 MAS
    160 Fan
    50 adj clutch cable
    400? Jet Hot coating

So thats about a $1000 in extras, now if you got your kit with the turbo for $3200 thats a awsome deal, how did you get if for so cheap?

Briane

18. Snipe656

I see it happen all the time, so I would say anyone can. They offer deals a lot of times, sometimes advertised deals and sometimes just have to contact them.

19. SoL_93GT

Yeah the HP kit comes with a 3 1/2" to dual 3" Y-pipe.

Briane

20. Snipe656

Then why are you not running with your stock catback hooked up?

bridal-shoal