1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Spare Parts - 89' Notch, Single Turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by killacal, May 14, 2016.

1. killacal

It's been a while since I posted here, and maybe even longer since I've had a chance to work on the stang. A friend of mine recently talked me into re-turboing my 89' notch. Here's the history on the car: I've owned it for years, it's been a 4cyl, 8cyl N/A, Twin Turbo'd, Twin Turbo'd a second time, and N/A. It's been sitting for about 4 yrs, when life got in the way of letting me work on it / drive it.

Plan: Make a single turbo setup out of all the spare parts I have from the two old turbo systems. It's an ebay intercooler, ebay turbo, ebay gates, single turbo, draw through setup. I'm going to be tuning it with a moates quarter horse (it's currently tune for the 42lb injectors in it).

I'll upload some pics of progress later, but it's the car in my signature. I hope to have this turbo setup completed in the next couple of weekends... let's see how that works out.

2. flyinhillbilly

I'm in, looking forward to seeing this.

3. killacal

Bump, Made some progress today. Did a quick oil change, added the oil filter adapter to clearance the flipped headers, made a turbo flange, and got most of the hot side fitted up and tack welded. Waiting on some parts to finish the Hot side and should be able to get most of the cold side done next weekend.

Here's a quick pic of the arrangement:

[​IMG]#ad

View attachment 669204 #ad

4. killacal

Made some More Progress Today. Got the hot-side finished and tacked in. Also did some more more on the exhaust, mocked up the entire cold side, installed the intercooler and did some final welding on the cold side. I should have this thing wrapped up and running on Friday... as long as I'm not missing any parts.

Intercooler Mounted:
    IMG_2044.JPG #ad

Crappy Picture of the hot-side and if you look you can see the cold side down pipe coming from the turbo:
    IMG_2048.JPG #ad

Here's a picture of it all laid in:
    IMG_2046.JPG #ad

Not the prettiness build in town... but It'll make some power.

Next steps: Finish Welding hot /cold side and leak test, Find an oil fitting elbow (-4 female to male elbow) for oil line, install oil drains and feed, finish up exhaust tie-in to H-Pipe, weld in 02 bung, install Mass Air/Tube/Filter and she's ready to test drive.

The car has a 255lph pump, 42 lb injectors and moates quaterhorse installed. I need to dig out my tuning laptop, blow the dust off it and my head, then try to "tune it up" on Friday, or later in the weekend.

IMG_2044.JPG #ad

IMG_2048.JPG #ad

IMG_2046.JPG #ad

5. flyinhillbilly

Woohoo for spare parts builds

6. killacal

Thanks man, it's coming together pretty quick! It'll be fun to take her for a ride!

That Chevy you're working on is pretty badass too... How's that thing to drive? Is it a tire shredding beast?!

7. flyinhillbilly

It runs pretty good for an old pickup. I don't do too many burnouts with it since 35's are so expensive, but the few times I have I've had to lift before it would get traction.

8. killacal

Got her up and running late last night, need to weld in a wideband bung, tie in the exhaust and take her for a ride.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464450219.296607.jpg #ad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464450243.065909.jpg #ad

I guess I can't upload a video from my phone, I'll do that later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464450219.296607.jpg #ad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464450243.065909.jpg #ad

9. flyinhillbilly

Almost there, well done.

10. killacal

Some Videos here of the first fire up:

[video=youtube_share;i5rIeDwR4TQ]https://youtu.be/i5rIeDwR4TQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;WfNMuf93XdQ]https://youtu.be/WfNMuf93XdQ[/video]

11. killacal

12. killacal

My buddy welded the wideband in and took it for a ride. Apparently it's making boost fine, and he said it pulls pretty good.

Ghetto Powedyne boost gauge representing!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464574360.339088.jpg #ad

Apparently that was in low gear, waste gate springs only.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464574360.339088.jpg #ad

13. flyinhillbilly

Hahaha, I bet it was pulling pretty hard right about then.

14. killacal

haha, he said that pic was during a burnout. I asked where the video was! Apparently it made ~ 11psi when he was driving it up the street, but the AFR went from ~ 12.7 to 10.0.. so I think the MAF sensor was getting pegged. I have a lightning and a C&L MAF sensor somewhere, I'll have to bring it down to the shop and see if we can tune the AFRs back to normal.

More updates to come, maybe a burnout video or two next weekend, depending on how it goes.

15. boostfridge

Sweet build! Any plans to beat on it at the track?

16. killacal

It'll definitely make it to the track at least once. Hopefully this year, but I actually just looking forward to straightening the tune out, cleaning the car up a bit and cruising it for a bit... and blowing off some street tires. Hopefully it'll make it to a burn show or two this year.

Let me know if you guys want any specific pictures. This will probably be back on the lift this weekend so I can finish tying the exhaust in.

17. 92LX-5.8

Great job, you threw this together super fast!

18. killacal

Thanks Man. Using my buddy's shop and lift has been a mixed blessing. When we get in the groove him and I can bang it out... but there's a lot of distractions. It's kind of becoming a staple of his shop, I let pretty much anyone that came in help with the build. The pipes had at least 5 different guys welding on them. haha

It's been a good excuse the hang out, shoot the shit and build something cool... admittedly I was hoping to have it complete and tuned by last weekend, so I'm a bit behind in my own mind. At least I've been having fun though.

19. Cpt. Slow

Enjoy company. Building alone like I do in this hippy town is super unmotivating.

20. killacal

I get that and am definitely enjoying the process/company. I just moved back from out of state... didn't get crap done, even though I had a great garage and setup to do it.