1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Becca's '03 Mustang Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BFJ, May 27, 2010.

1. BFJ

I picked this car up last summer with the intention of building another race car. I had plans for a 25.3 Drag Radial build and a LSX power plant. Then plans changed to a Turbo big block Chevy, but never really had time (or money) to work on it.

Recently my daughter has been asking me when we are going to work on HER Mustang. There goes the plans for another race car, now we are bulding a car for her, she is 16.

Here is the car when we brought it home:

[​IMG]#ad

The car is basically a shell. Here is a rundown of what's done and what's missing.

What's been done:
    D&D K-Member, no motor mounts, set up for a motor plate.
    D&D Lower control arms.
    D&D Coil over kit.
    Strange adjustable struts.
    Manual brake kit.
    Camber/caster plates.
    Autometer Guages.

The bad:
    No motor or trans.
    No front or rear seats.
    No gas tank.
    Front bumper has a big hole in it.

Overall the car is in good shape. There are a couple dents in the rear quarter panels that need repair, and I really screwed up the front bumper putting it on the trailer.

Becca will be a Junior next year and we hope to have it done in time for her Junior Prom.

2. vader_turbo

I wish my dad was that cool when I was her age!

3. MONTEGOD7SS

My daughter is 6 and already talking about cars. As it goes right now she will be in a Miata because I personally think it's more dangerous to have 7 kids in a Suburban than two in a small car. I like the Mustang idea too, just take out the back seat and put a cage in, lol.

4. 99TTGT

sweet
    SN95 with LS motor.! :cheers:

5. Tanus

nice, looks like a good starting point
    ps if I where gonna build a pretty quick car for my son/daughter I'd leave it a open rear end, my 2 cent

6. BFJ

We ditched the LSx idea when she wanted the car. I did manage to find a Lincoln MKVIII motor.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

We are going to keep the powersteering, but not the A/C.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. Mr. Dew

Put a NA 2.3L in it. That might keep her out of trouble. I say get her a old school Chevette or a Geo Metro. Cheap cars they can wreck. Having said that my first car was a............. 1951 Chevy tudor Business Coupe. :D Which was black with purple and green ghost flames and a 502 crate motor from the GMPP catalog. It was awesome.

8. boostedtorino

thats awesome wish i had a bitchin car for my junior prom dang

9. Mike93SVT

lookin good. let me know what kind of stuff you need. i have a fuel tank and lines you could have. i have the interior out of my 95 cause i'm switching to black. i also have a 96 donor car that i'm using the hydroboost and wiring harness out of. but if you need parts and i'm not using em, then come on by. danny has my number, or just pm me :cheers:

10. BFJ

Thanks Mike. I have almost all the interior, I need a black left A-pillar plastic. I need to keep adding pictures to my build, we got the rear end housing done yesterday.

11. BFJ

Here is a picture of the dash with the Autometer guages. I'm gonna have to do something different with the factory cluster, it's pretty hard to see the guages.

[​IMG]#ad

12. BFJ

The car came with a D&D k-member with no motor mounts. We were gonna use Bridge Racing motor plates, but at over 300.00 for for a set of motor plates, it was easier to buy a new k-member. The car also came with no seats, front or back. I was lucky enough to find someone local building a race car and needed a k-member with no motor mounts. He had very nice set of stock seats, so the trade was made.

K-member with no motor mounts:

[​IMG]#ad

New K-Member:

[​IMG]#ad

Stock seats with a little cleaning:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got them bolted in car. The rear seat head rest doesn't fit right, might be something I did wrong.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. BFJ

Becca checking out her new seats:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

She is pretty happy, can't wait to drive her new car:

[​IMG]#ad

14. BFJ

I never liked 3.5 or 4 inch wheels on New Edge Mustangs. They always stick out. Here are some pictures without spacers to clear the calipers.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are some pictures with Fox Body control arms that suck the wheel in. I still need to put the brakes back on and put the spacers on, that will bring the wheel out a little

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. BFJ

I got the rear wheels and tires mocked up so I could measure total rear end width. I got the rear end media blasted and dropped off at the chassis shop so we can brace it and put 9 inch ends on it. Here some pictures with 15x10 Welds and 28x10.5 tires. Mickey Thompson has a new Drag Radial 295/55r15 we plan on running. Hopefully I can have the rear end back together in a couple weeks. This is also the planned ride height.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. BFJ

I had a little free time on Friday to take the rear end to the chassis shop to narrow, brace, and weld the housing ends on.

We cut the quad shock brackets off and measured for housing length.

[​IMG]#ad

Once we slid the Alignment BAR in the housing we noticed the rear end was bent pretty bad on one side. We welded the tube to the center section with hopes it would pull it back into place, didn't move at all. I'm going to pick up another rear end housing this week and try again.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. BFJ

Picked up another housing and went back down to the chassis shop. Before I did any work, I checked for straightness.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Housing was straight, so we cut and welded it up.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Cleaned it up and painted it. I'm waiting on axles and spool, then I can get it back under the car.

[​IMG]#ad

18. MONTEGOD7SS

A spool and drag radials on a 16yr old's daily driver? Am I missing something? Hell, I wouldn't want to drive that in the rain, much less have my daughter drive it.

19. Mike93SVT

looks great, but you gotta stay out of that shop... i've been waiting a month to get my crap in there and finished up :doh:

what brake setup are you gonna run with those 9in ends? i'm hoping to adapt my stock disc ones

20. BFJ

This car is NOT her daily driver. She has a Honda Civic that she drives. This car is a weekend toy for her to hang out in and go to the track. I have no problem letting my kid drag race, especially with the right equipment.