1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project 13 second 1993 Mustang LX 351w High Port BG Turbo Team Z

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 5.0calypso93lx, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 5.0calypso93lx

I figured that since I now have parts that are actually related to the turbo setup starting to show up, I'd go ahead and post a build thread up here.

Car is a 93 LX hatch.

Engine combo is a BES built 351w using a 71' block, High Ports, Custom hydraulic roller turbo cam, Trick Flow R intake and a 90mm TB.

Trans and clutch are major weak points but are just in there to get me going for now. Tremec 3550 and a King Cobra clutch. I'm praying it makes it through the dyno and tuning session.

Turbo setup consists of a B&G hotside that I bought off here. It was custom made for high ports and a 351w. It will still need to be modified as I'm running a Team Z 1" drop K member and ES motor mounts. It's setup for a 44mm gate right now, but I think I'll need something closer to a 60.

Suspension is almost all Team Z stuff. Front k member kit with 14" 175 strange springs with strange struts and rear is the Team Z DA uppers and lowers with strange shocks.

The rear is the stock 8.8 with Moser 9" ends welded on with Moser 31 spline axles, fox width, Eaton 31 spline diff and Wilwood brakes. Front brakes are 13" Cobra's.

The car weighed 2980 without me in it before, but that was with stock front suspension and E7 heads. I've dropped a lot of weight but I've also added it elsewhere so not sure what the car is going to weight.

I haven't bought the turbo yet but I'm pretty much set on a Precision Billet 7675. Front mount is just a cheapo 24x12x4" XSpower that I picked up locally on the cheap.

I'm also running the car on an AEM EMS, AEM Tru boost, and will be getting an AEM 3.5 bar MAP.

All intercooler piping will be 3" aluminum.

On to the pics I snapped yesterday:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Just took this to get an idea of ride height. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with a shorter spring. The front end is missing I'm guessing about 200lbs of weight though from some piping, headers and fluids. I'm hoping it comes down a bit more, if not, new springs will be in order.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I'm hoping to have it very close to 100% by next March for the TX2K11 event down in Houston. I've got quite a few parts stacked up on the shelves now that I need to put on, just need to find the time at this point.

2. badride5

looks great so far! look forward to see what it will do.

3. JPSN95GT

It looks like it will be a very nice thread.. what is your goal?? :2thumbs:

4. 5.0calypso93lx

Thanks and to be honest, at this point I really don't know lol. The trans, clutch, and single 255lph in tank pump are really going to hold me back so I'm not expecting much at this time. Once I get a good fuel system and a better trans setup, I'll think about turning it up a bit. My goal is to break the shortblock :lol:

5. Ackbar00

That is a bad goal to have. Id trust me on this ;)

6. 5.0calypso93lx

LOL. Well hopefully it won't happen any time in the near future I should have said haha.

7. 5.0calypso93lx

A little bit of an update. The 1" drop Team Z k member wasn't working out for me. Everything was hitting everywhere.

I got my new standard height Team Z k member on tuesday in the mail. I swapped it in last night and went in perfectly again. I've been nothing but impressed with their stuff. This is the 2nd k member I've used from them and I'm running their rear suspension. Everything has fit perfectly.

Good news is now the hotside fits. I'm going to have to wait on the turbo to find out for sure, but it will be close on the driver side. The flange sits just above the passenger frame rail but the turbo curves up directly from there, so we'll see. I'm still running the ES motor mounts so the engine is down 1/2" or so from standard height so I'm sure that's why it's so tight right there.

The engine is centered dead nuts in the k member and fits great.

The passenger side header is actually sitting up against the stock prop valve on the driver side inner shock tower. I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem or not. It doesn't do anything right now as it's just gutted, capped off and fluid flows through it. I have an adjustable wilwood mounted up near the firewall. I'd imagine the header is going to get crazy hot and if I wrapped it, I'm not sure it would even fit without smashing the stock prop valve. If I got standard height mounts it would just make it worse and run into my brake lines which extend further towards the motor.

I'll get pics of everything on saturday. I've got to work at both jobs today and tomorrow so won't be any updates until then.

8. 5.0calypso93lx

I did forget I recently took these pictures. This is the exhaust I picked up off of Walter. Fabwork done by Jim Thery. It's a 3.5" y pipe split into dual 3" with 3" v banded magnaflows:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 88MMrocket

looks good! :2thumbs: which intercooler is that?

10. Stangguy

I see you are following me around..lol I got my coupe back from TeamZ about a month and a half ago. Your car is looking pretty nice...It will probably look even better with a set of coil packs on the valve covers :doh:

11. 5.0calypso93lx

Thanks, it's a cheapy XSpower 31x12x4 unit that most people run. Should be fine for now. I picked it up locally for $100 and I'm going to cut those stupid tabs off of it that someone welded on and flip it around so I can mount it with the openings under the bumper posts.

12. 5.0calypso93lx

LOL, I'm guessing wildstreet from corral?

I agree, it would look better with those!! Now if only somebody would sell them to me :-X

13. bkstang95

I heard that black on in the garage is going to yank yours down the highway! Just sayin.... :D

Making some good progress though man!

14. 5.0calypso93lx

LOL, we'll just have to find out I guess!!

15. 5.0calypso93lx

Got the headers mocked up to see how well they fit. On the passenger side, the header flange is sitting above the top of the head and won't allow the valve cover to be installed. Looks like I'll have to clearance that so I can get the valve cover bolted down. Can't really tell in these pics but it's a good 1/8" above the top of the edge of the head:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The driver side I can't even get mounted up. The outside most header tube is hitting the stock prop valve and isn't allowing me to even get the back of the header aligned to get a bolt in the rear of the flange:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I removed the power steering "cooler" from the core support and just looped the drain back into the rack using the stock drain line. This will give me some more room up front to mount the intercooler and clean up the lines around where the crossover will be:

[​IMG]#ad

I got the T bolts from Currie that I ordered in and got the axle flanges installed:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got the rear brakes installed. Didn't need to use any shims, it was dead nuts on the first time:

[​IMG]#ad

I'm going to run the brake lines tomorrow and touch up the rear axle paint a little bit with some more Por-15.

16. 5.0calypso93lx

Chad slotted the forward most hole on the header flange for me on the mill and the passenger side header now fits much better. I'm able to get about 5 bolts threaded in and the flange is right along the edge of the head so the VC should fit.

I'm still not sure what to do about the passenger side at this point. I'm wondering if I can just get rid of the stock prop valve altogether since it's now gutted and I'm running a Wilwood prop valve instead?

The rear brake lines are ran. I just need to have something done to the caliper sides to get the lines mounted up to the calipers. I somehow misplaced my banjo bolt for the "T" at the body as well so hopefully MM can sell me that seperately.

I'll get some more pics up tonight.

17. Stangguy

you don't need/or want the stock proportioning valve set-up if you are running a aftermarket one. You will have some work to do running new brake lines, but if you are going to put a line lock in along with the valve in..you are half way there.

18. Stangguy

I meant to say...since you are running aftermarket brakes front and rear. You should also put the bigger strange master cylinder on.

19. 5.0calypso93lx

I'm already running a 93 Cobra MC with the MM 3-2 port conversion. MM actually makes a kit to completely remove the stock prop valve so I went ahead and ordered it. Should allow me to move the lines away from the header. I don't have plans to run a line lock, at least not right now.

20. 5.0calypso93lx

Did some really rough mocking up of the turbo and dp today. I'm just happy it's going to work. In fact everything fits great. I was concerned I wasn't going to have enough room in the inner fender and was going to have to hack the car up.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I need to reclock the turbo. The dp is awfully tight around the shock tower and firewall. I need to look into it more but I believe it should be ok if it's wrapped? When I first saw where it had to go I was like, man there's no way this is gonna fit. Voila!!