1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Progressive or single stage water/meth injection on a drag car?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by hezekiahmunson, Dec 29, 2008.

1. hezekiahmunson

If you have a drag car with an auto trans, you would be at full boost the whole run so progressive injection isnt really used right, it goes to full instantly? I was looking at the price of progressive kits requiring a MAP sensor vs single stage kits and the single stage kits cost half as much. What are you opinions on this?

2. 5.8 Bandit

Give Rodney a call at AIS. He is very helpfull and honest and can steer you in the best direction for your combo.

3. Wilde Racing

From a tuning aspect it is easier to tune a progressive if you are using a factory pcm.. But I think you could do just fine with a simple on/off kit... How much meth are you going to spray?

4. conbread

i would use a on off deal..with it being a race car when will you be at part throttle?? just smack it to the floor and let the meth spray...Go with a AIS kit they are the best...talk to Rodney

5. John M

Race car + boost = Race Fuel.

6. hezekiahmunson

Not sure what that has to do with water/meth injection, are you saying water/meth injection isnt useful with race fuel? I can run as much boost as I want with race fuel and not worry about water/meth injection? Tell me more, Im all ears.

7. cammerfe

I am generalizing here, but my experience is that straight methanol is the way to go and not meth/H2O. Methanol is fuel that carries its own oxygen. I hold records in two classes of Land Speed Racing. they're both fuel classes. With the first one, I used 116 in addition to N2O. In the second class, I used methanol along with the N2O, and 116 through the engine management/EFI. Although I didn't have time to completely tune the Meth/N2O, and there was most likely more to be had, I ran almost 2 MPH faster with the methanol. I think I could have found 3MPH or more if I'd had a more complete set of pills with me, and time to try them. And this coming year, with a fresh engine, and a TT setup, the methanol will be even more important
    KS

8. AIS

If its strictly a drag racing application you don't need a progressive system. Unless your the type who money isn't an issue and I can't talk you out of it. You know who you are. No matter what I do to talk you out of it your still going to buy it.
    ]
    Really, a simple stage 1 type system is all that is needed. Simple and effective. Jetting it and setting the activation where you need it is all you need to worry about. Depending on the application, carbureted or EFI, the type of fluid to use will vary. I prefer to use pure methanol with EFI applications due to the tuning capabilities with EFI. While with carbureted applications I'll generally use 20-30% methanol the rest water so as not to greatly impact air fuel and require pulling any fuel out of the carburetor.

If you have specific questions feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call directly at 801.447.2559.

This content is protected

9. AIS

I agree. If its a race car keep it on good gas. It's not like its a street car and is going to cost you a fortune to run it. Just keep in mind racing fuel isn't reducing the air charge temps (boosted applications) or cylinder temps any better then normal gasoline. Intercooled (referring to air to air intercoolers not large in car air to water units) or not adding a water methanol injection can significantly reduce or further reduce (air to air intercooled already) air intake temperatures and provide you with instant cooling right off the line. Unlike staging with a heat soaked air to air intercooler and having to wait till the car starts to MPH before it begins to work. A water methanol injection system will work instantly right off the line. Additionally, with it we can cool down the cylinder temperatures and the tops of the piston and upper ring helping avoid potential problems in this area.

Add water methanol injection to race gas on top of an already conservative race tune is like having immunity against detonation and so many other problems.

Let me know if you have any questions or how I can help.

Happy New Years

Rodney

10. CyanJaguar

Rodney, have you noticed any difference in power/detonation resistance between a 50/50 mix and up to 100% methanol?

a book Im reading right now says that after a 50/50 mix there is nothing to be gained by increasing the percentage of methanol. wanted to know your take on this.

11. BOSs5.0

What book?

12. Wilde Racing

I feel there is plenty to gain in hp and fuel when running 100% meth vs 50/50..... The only benefit from running 50/50 is the lack of flammability and the tuning dont need to be changed much. I guess it is cheaper too..

13. AIS

Yes, there is more to be gained or should I say advantages to running pure methanol over a mix such as 50/50. Namely, better knock control and better reductions in intake air charge temps can be had. The reason why is with pure methanol you can spray a ton of it since its all fuel and is going to burn as part of the combustion process. Whereas when you run a mixture such as 50/50 your ultimately limited to how much you can spray due to the water. Spray to much and eventually the motor will bog and los power. There's no tuning around that unlike pure methanol which just requires you to pull more fuel out of your tune to compensate for it. This is why we handle the jetting with every system we sell and ship out rather then just prepackaging every system with the same size nozzles as do our competitors. Jetting is one of the most important details when it comes to water methanol injection systems and where people get it can get it wrong and not have the results they were expecting.

So yes, there are certainly advantages to using pure methanol (with gasoline engine only) over mixes such as 50/50.

This book your reading, is it discussing the use of water methanol injection in a gasoline engine, diesel engine or for aircraft use? That has everything to do with it. For example, with diesel applications you would never want to run pure methanol. Yet for gasoline applications you can.

Rodney

14. AIS

Thanks for the support and business guys. I appreciate it. :)

Rodney

15. superpwt

And in the 21st century we have race car + more boost + 1.59 E85+ meth inj :2thumbs: Green for 2009 :D

16. AIS

E85 is a nice fuel but unfortunately not everyone has it available where they live.

17. superpwt

E85 + meth is awesome! I just hope more pumps do become available. They also seem to have a problem keeping the existing ones full. Im sending you a pm!