1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Extrude Honed turbine housing..

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bellman Jeff, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Bellman Jeff

Anyone ever do this ?? Do you think it would benefit a marginal setup ?? Or would it throw it all out of wack ??

If I can get some positve feed back from any of the gurus on the board, I'll do it.. And get the housing Jet Hot coated too...

2. ta2slow

I would think that extrude honing would open the housing up too much cuzing too much clearance between the turbine housing and the turbine itself. I think that would make the turbo spool slower. Maybe someone on here has done it and can tell us if it helped?

3. gtluke

yeah i don't suggest messing with the turbine housing. just get a bigger one if you need a bigger one.

4. turbo66

Could be a good way of increasing the effective a/r of the turbine housing, need someone to do it and let us know the results :D

5. SWT Racing

:withu:

If you Extrude Hone, you're going to increase the clearance between the turbine and the housing, which will kill turbine efficiency. Either hand port the housing (which is not all that difficult) or go to a larger housing as Luke stated above.

6. Bellman Jeff

Oh well... It seemed like a good idea at first.. Glad I asked first ...

7. 92coupe

or you could just get a bigger a/r

8. Agent86

if the extrude hone is done correctly, it wont increase the turbine wheel/ housing clearance. i've had mine done and the guy set up the process so it didnt affect this part. very effective way to increase turbine AR esecially if you want to give the apearance of stock.. i also had hte comp cover done, to much thermal benifits :)

9. Bellman Jeff

You don't say !!! In my situation they don't make a larger A/R turbine housing (.96) for a Precision PT 88.. So that maybe an only option, besides hand porting.. The car pulls like a bear to the rev limiter (7000 rpms).. But with the 88's T4 housing on a 383 ci motor.. It has got to be seeing a lot of back pressure..

One thing it has going for it.. The 88's T-4 housing is way way bigger than the T76's T-4 housing.. Bigger in every way, except the bolt pattern..

10. SC302Beast

Anyone have an idea on how much it costs to get a housing extrude honed? I've also tried to find pics or instructions on how to properly hand-port a housing to no avail...any ideas? Like Bellman Jeff, I'm sort of limited to the housing I have, so porting might be my easiest alternative.