1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Progress on '90 S10 Single Turbo LT1 Project

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 89JYturbo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 89JYturbo

I started on this project last fall.  I had to shelve it soon after starting because I became too busy.  I'm back on it in my spare time, and I'm making some progress again.  I'll keep updating this thread as the project comes along.

Quick Specs:
    -'90 2wd S10 (origianlly 4.3V6/Auto)
    -'95 F-Body LT1
    -'96 F-body T56 6-speed
    - Garrett T66/P-Trim
    -Tial 38MM WG
    -Very street oriented with a power goal of around 550hp

Feel free to post comments or suggestions.

Passenger side header, turbo, and WG:

Driver side header tacked up:

Custom fabbed Accessroy drive (its amazing how time consuming this was!):

There are also a few more pics on my website.  See the lower part of the 'Customer Cars' Section.

2. 89JYturbo

Next time I'll size my pics down so they aren't cut-up. ;)

Edit- Fixed :2thumbs:

3. dragginwagon406

Nice work.

4. Hotrod406

Looks good so far.

One thing you could do to improve the pics is to step back a little. I know what everything is because I have an S10, but the mustang guys will have no idea.

5. 89JYturbo

Thanks for the suggestion. I figured out how to scale the images down to a more managable size. Sorry for the viewing inconvienence.

6. 89JYturbo

Got the Down-Pipe tacked together tonight. The WG will dump through the inner fender well. The WG dump should be able to clear the suspension and big wheels.

Maybe I'm being too critical of myself, but I think it looks a little unorganized. What do you all think?? (the customer is very picky ;) )

7. Jess

Thats where I am routing my dp, but I am using 4" tubing. It is very tight, but it will work.

8. 89JYturbo

I had to cut some of the pinch weld lip off of the bottom of the cab to get the 3" pipe through there.  No big deal, though, since there were already several holes cut in the firewall becasue I moved the engine about 2.5" back from the original position (we plan to pull the dash and cab to get the firewall patched up and smoothed).  The engine is also shifted to the passenger side a bit to make more room for the driver side header to clear the steering shaft.

9. INTMD8

Looks nice, good work. :2thumbs:

10. 89JYturbo

Some more progress:

Finished the cross-over pipe. I used a small flex joint down low in front of the balancer, but it is not visable here.

Finished the WG dump through the RF inner fender:

Here is a veiw of the passenger side header with the inner fender removed. I think I'm going to add a brace to the header in the area of the red ine to help support the weight of the turbo. Any arguments for/against with adding a brace there?

11. turbotater

12. 89JYturbo

Looks good. I like to see the turbo system working around the factory accessories such as A/C. Looks even more cramped than my engine bay with the V8.

13. FSTFBDY

Verry nice Hope I get a change to coat all the stuff for this project also.

I love S10 projects.

14. V8TurboGMC

What motor mounts did you use? I was going to get mine from Advanced adapters. My truck was also a 4.3.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Here is my ride in slow motion. I have not worked on it in a year :(

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. 89JYturbo

I was planning to have you coat the hot side. As long as your up for it ;)

16. V8TurboGMC

Are you using the stock oil pan? When I lowered my motor the pan hit the crossmember

17. BoostedHoe

i'm picky as hell too, and want everything to be nice and clean looking. I hate modern day engine bays because all you see is electronics and plastic. With that being said, I think you bay looks very nice, and not unorganized at all :) Great progress.

18. blue t

If you are going to have a nice set of wheels you might want to think about were you have your w/g because it will turn your wheel yellow.

19. BoostedHoe

He can just weld a turn down onto the pipe and have it shoot towards inner fender or towards the back.

20. 89JYturbo

We're still chipping away at this project. Just haven't taken time to post progress recently. I have a few pics of the engine and turbo system out of the truck. I love seeing turbo systems assembled on an engine stand :D I'll post up the pics soon.

Do you think even with the turn out like this it will give us trouble? I can't imagine the WG will flow enough to damage anything in the wheel well, but I don't know.