1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thinking of going Efi...

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by PEARL MUSSIN, Oct 22, 2017.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

thinking about switching from a blow thru carb to efi. I want to go with either fitech or holley snyper.
    Does anyone know when holley is coming out with the 8 injector snyper?

Fitech guys any regrets?

2. B E N

My only regret is going with the 600 instead of the 1200, I will outgrow it one day.

3. tbird

I can tell you holley isnt going to production with the 8 injector deal until they are caught up on the 4 injector back orders.
    They are selling they shit out of those things. For as many people talking shit about them, there are many more out there.

4. Fastlane

NOOOOOOO! :(

gotta admit though, I've been thinking about it too. But the car just runs sooo good.

5. hondarocks61

I have had some trouble with my Fitech 1200...

Full disclosure, I am not an experienced tuner!

I know some guys have good luck, but Fitech has some inherent software oversights that will probably never be updated. Be aware that Fitech DID NOT develop their own software in house, and as such, there are a lot of tough tuning questions they simply cannot answer.

Apparently, according to MY tuner, the "entry level" features of the system are simply not enough to get every engine dialed in the way it should be, he used special software not available to most people to edit the VE tables to get the car running fairly acceptable under acceleration, even still, it is not perfect as there is still a rich burp when reapplying the throttle between shifts that effectively could not be tuned out.

I believe that without the ability to limit fuel trim at certain MAP sensor outputs, my setup will always have a noticeable rich spot.

When I initially got the Fitech setup running I literally could not open the throttle quickly without it going so rich it would stall. After messing with almost every setting you can imagine and going back and forth with Fitech for MONTHS I almost put a carb on the car.

I finally brought it to the tuner I use now as he had messed with them before, and he got the car running much better, but absolutely not perfect...

I don't know about the Holley Sniper, but I will be putting one on my Fathers 302 in his f150, so we will see.

B E N likes this.
  6. B E N

It would be great to get some opinions from someone who has used both side by side

7. hondarocks61

I will definitely update this thread with my experience. I have a feeling the sniper is a much better unit, Holly's CSR's seem more knowledgeable than Fitech's at least.

If all goes well I may run the 8 injector sniper when it comes out and set it up for boost... [emoji41]

8. PEARL MUSSIN

Wonder when that 8 injector sniper is going to be released?

9. hondarocks61

When I spoke to a rep at Holley, I was told "before the end of the year."

That would be nice! That being said, you don't want to them to rush either...!

10. PEARL MUSSIN

Mine runs great just have a hard time launching it. It always bogs when the pv opens up.

11. hondarocks61

What kind of blow-thru carb do you have? Iv been curious about them.

12. PEARL MUSSIN

Holley 750 built by Brent Davis, full "crutch" set up. Maybe I just need more 60ft tuning?

13. hondarocks61

I have heard great things about CSU blow thru carbs...

I have actually considered going that direction if the EFI keeps pissing me off.

We will see!

14. Fastlane

Jeremy..
    CSU!. twin integrated brpv's. Runs incredible. No issues whatsoever. my fueling is excellent everywhere all the time. My problem is with timing and boost control and all those wonderful things you get in an efi system. I have a LMA1 LMA3 and msd 7530 and use pressure switches and step retards and it runs great but EFI would make it all work so simpler. I am seriously waiting for someone to guinea pig the 8 injector.

15. blown385

How have you been opening the PVs ?

RPM or boost ?

Have you tried opening them while still on the 2-step ?

What about after the launch ? Have you tried using a source like turbine pressure ? Or are you hitting them with the pump ?

Have you thought about going t a primary PV only ?

16. PEARL MUSSIN

Just the rear pv, open by the rpm box.

17. blown385

I would try boost , and have it open just under your launch boost . If leaving on 10psi , have it open at 8 .

Ive never liked rpm as a trigger .

18. 93weezer

I haven't had those problems on my FITECH setup! Dart SBF 408 nasty little john cam and billet s484. Second run with new combo 9.3 at 151.97mph on 13-14lbs boost.

19. hondarocks61

I'm happy for you, but I can't say the same. I'm wondering if any of it has to do with your much more aggressive combo and larger displacement?

20. 93weezer

Not to bust your chops but 95% of the problems with fitech are installer error! The ONLY tuning i did was input the basic setup, set my requested afr's and adjust the out iac that's it. Does it run perfect, nope but it runs pretty damn good. It never stalls and I do drive this thing on the street when I have the time. It's time for you to do a LOT of reading or find a new tuner.