1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Problems with my HP kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by gaslight, Mar 27, 2004.

1. gaslight

1. I ordered my kit on Jan. 6 and was told it should arrive in less than 21 business days. Didn't happen. Showed up in about 2 months. Got lots of excuses of various things being back ordered. First it was the wastegates that held everthing up then it was the fans then for some people they had to wait for the air filters.
    2. The pipes from Jet Hot had scratches. The worst one I had to pay to send back to have it recoated.
    3. I was supposed to have a extra O2 bung welded on for a wide band. Didn't have one but supposedly a new one is on its way to Jet Hot and then eventually to me.
    4. When I received the pipes from Jet Hot I inspected them what I though was carefully but I was wrong. Today when getting ready to instal the turbo header I saw light coming through a pin hole in one of the welds. Of course its saturday and you can't get ahold of anyone there because of the weekend.
    5. I have a 66mm turbo that was not assembled and came with no instructions on how to assemble it. I was given a large spring clip to hold the compressor housing on. But there is no groove for the clip to go into but there is a nice flange all the way around the housing and center section. Perfect spot of a V BAND! I was told by one of the owners that the clip would work and it just snaps togther. As I said there is no groove to snap it into on either piece. The picture on the manual shows a V Band clamp. Of course I can't get one of those around here and again HP is closed on the weekend.
    6. The Manual! This thing is no good. The few pics that are there are hard to read the writing. A lot of information is left out such as how and where to route the clutch cable. It really needs some pictures of the pipes to point what pipe is what. One of the pics shows a pipe that has a piece of metal attached to it. That piece is supposed to help support the exhaust by being bolted to the trans crossmember bolts that hold down the trans. Guess what. My pipe doesn't have that strip of metal nor does my friends kit that he just got recently. They are supposed to be coming out with a new manual but that really does help me or my friend.
    7. My box that came directly from HP looked like it was run over by the Fedex Truck. The intercooler outlet was no longer round. The clutch cable was missing. FEDEX sucks ass!
    8. Just got my fan the other day and the replacement clutch cable but waiting for a filter that goes on the blow off. Remember I placed my order on Jan 6.
    Will post pics of the turbo and spring clip. You tell me if I need a V Band. Plus you can see the nice damaged parts.
    I'm running out of time here to get the car together and make the biggest car show in the state. That is in Mid May.

2. gaslight

I know some people havent had any or few problems but my luck just isn't as good as theirs'. While puncing a hole in the oil pan I hit the oil pump or #1 main cap. I hope it is ok. I will have to cut the punch shorter because I'm not done widening the hole. My friend did his the other day and had no problems.

This pic is real gainy but right in the upper left corner of the pic you will se a bright spot. That is where I am shinning a flash light through the pin hole left by the welding. DELETED PIC...... check below

3. gaslight

here is the turbo. look at the flange. Does that look like it could use a V band and not that spring clip behind it?

4. my8950

Seems like DeJaVu to me...Although you cant tell jack from the one picture you posted up there of the header, I am familiar with what it looks like anyways...Pics that were posted of another HP kit that looked probably really similar a while back...I'd have to do a serch & see if they show up still, its been a while but sounds like the same old shit...All the stuff you said about getting it so quick, parts missing, shipping it back only once is actually good to hear as I sent mine I think 3 times...The list goes on, all sounds very familiar...Heres a few pics just to wet your whistle...

5. papis408w

my8950

I remember that whole scenario w/ your kit. You cause a big bru ha ha. Did you ever get them to replace the header or did you have it welded? I went over my PTK kit but I think I'll go over it again a couple more times to make sure.

gaslight- you should probably call them tomorrow and tell them to your sending back the headers on their dime.

6. Snipe656

Re: my8950

Actually, I think I was the cause of that but it was his stuff, but I did apologize for causing it then to HP, etc. I know in the end he decided to just get a refund and go with a TTI race kit. Whatever pictures I might have posted back then, chances are they are still online, I usually never delete things from my webspace.

7. Trentk

Sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully tom will come on here and adress your concerns.

Good luck and keep us posted. My friend is about to order an HP kit.

Trent

8. DC-GT

I already ordered a kit... This concerns me...

I think Tom is out of town for a race that happened this weekend though. I hope he gets back soon!

9. BlackMagic94

Tom will take care of the customer. Shit happens, and ALL companies have problems here and there, the important part is that they make an effort to correct it. I bought a protype HP SN95 kit, and i have had nothing but good things to say about the kit, and Jimmy, Nathan, and Tom.

10. Snipe656

Words to live by.

11. gaslight

yeah shit does happen and a lot of it has been happening to me with this kit. I will post a better pic.
    Now about that turbo pic. Can any of you figure out how that snap ring is supposed to hold that compressor housing on? I can't. The only thing I can think of is that a V Band should have been used.

12. gaslight

Oh by the way the office is closed till tomorrow. I left a message on their machine.

13. gaslight

doesn't that look like a v band should go there?

14. gaslight

still not the best pic of pin hole but you can see the light from the flashlight coming through.

15. MORA

ah, that sucks man. Hope they can fix all that for you.

Will there ever be a quality turbo company?

16. my8950

I dont recall making a big bru ha about the crappy service & quality of parts I received, or lack there of. I do recall posting a brief summary of my experience after I was sdone dealing with them though. Kinda figure after waiting 8 months and paying in full up front, you'd get something that works properly and was of good worksmanship/quality. I think I ended up paying out about $200 in shipping back & forth over the cost of the kit just to get what I already ordered in working order before I called em and threw in the towel. I was very patient with them, and do understand growing pains, but being patient and understanding didn't get my care complete or even running any sooner. I did go with a Turbo Technology Race kit, and had it within 3 weeks of ordering and that parts and not even comparative as far as quality and craftyness...The TTI stuff is definitely the shiznit...

17. gaslight

I hope they just send me a new one quickly. As I said they have been out of the office so I could only leave a message on their machine.

18. BlackMagic94

Dont worry, Jimmy will take care of you.

Try calling 505.623.2555 to get ahold of jimmy or nathan.

19. TurboChargedPower

First, your concerns are being handled as quickly as possible. We would be doing so even without you feeling the need to air your concerns on this forum before giving us the opportunity to address them with you by phone. We strive to do a good job, but we are not perfect, and I think our customers will verify that we do everything possible to take care of any problems that arise. Some of your concerns are our fault, some are beyond our control, but we will remedy them all.

The delays in receiving your kit were legitimate. After more than three months of delays from Tial, we were able to buy everything they had available and shipped out the 44mm wastegates as promised. We have a standing order for 50 more. The fans were a very similar situation. Again, we finally received the order we had placed and again have a standing order to keep these in stock. However, HP does not own the vendors, and unfortunately we cannot control their manufacturing, inventory or shipping. We accept their promises as such and live with the results. If those results are not acceptable, it is up to us to make it right with the customer, which we do.

We don't own FedEx, who destroyed your boxes. I'm sure that you and probably most other readers on here have had a problem in the past with FedEx or other shipping companies manhandling their boxes. I know I have. Jet Hot will repair your pipe for free. Send us your shipping bill to them and we will reimburse you. We have ordered stronger boxes for future use and will gladly replace anything that was damaged or lost in your shipment. Just let us know what you need done. We will take care of your concerns in a timely fashion so you can make your show.

No excuse for the extra O2 bung being missed, which we did not charge you for (our normal practice). It was just overlooked on the build sheet. A new coated pipe with the bung in it is on its way to you along with a call tag so you can return the other one at no cost to you. If you have a problem with another of the pipes, call us with a description of the pipe and we will replace it at no cost.

I know you may think it looks strange, but there is nothing wrong with your 66mm turbo. You have all the clamps and bolts you need to assemble it. The reason it was not assembled is that we have JetHot coat the turbine housing and JetHot will not allow us to send them the rest of the turbo for them to assemble. Assembly is very easy; call Jimmy at HP (505-623-2555) tomorrow and he will explain it to you. Sorry HP was were closed on the weekend, but that is their normal practice also. Very few companies I know of are open 7 days a week.

We fully understand about the limitations of our present instruction manuals. We will have new ones soon.....we have been working on them. Because of the continually increasing volume of kit shipments we have been experiencing, we don't do as many installs on "stock" kits as we used to, and only recently had the opportunity to install a Fox kit in order to take new photos. Any questions you have may be answered with just a phone call to Jimmy at HP. HP will work with you as much as you need in order to insure you have a proper install.

If you have any other concerns, call me at 505-623-1304 or Jimmy at HP at 505-623-2555.

20. flashbang756

Yeah, I just received my kit last week. It took a little while, but like Tom said, they had delays. My box was handled a little rough by FedEx too. I was missing the oil lines. I haven't seen them yet, but Tom said they're on the way to me. And I'm still waiting on my polished compressor housing too. They said that it's on the way to me from the polisher.

I agree that the instructions are far from being good. But Tom told me that when I ordered so it's not a surprise. One suggestion I have for the instructions is a drawing of the kit and each pipe section labeled and in it's final position. Just a thought Tom, since ya'll are working on the new instructions.

Anyway, I'll keep waiting on my oil lines, compressor housing....oh and my 2 filters that they didn't have when they shipped mine. I guess I need to check my welds better than what I have already.

Everyone I've dealt with at HP have been great, so I have no complaints there. Hopefully everything will work out good for me. And I hope evrything works out alright for you gaslight.

bridal-shoal