1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PI cam holding tools

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by blown99, Jun 7, 2009.

1. blown99

Need some info on tools for holding pi cams in a pi head. Are they even needed? I was looking through the matco tool catalog and couldn't find any that were listed for the mustang. The tools differed between the econoline and f series which confused me. I would have figured the tool would have been the same. Most tools are showing 98-02 applications. Does this mean the npi and the pi cams share the same tools?

2. 99TTGT

A 3/8 ratchet with a small 3/8 extension work for me on the back of the cam...

ps# do you work on a shop?

3. blown99

Yes I work in a shop. I build medium and heavy duty truck engines for a living. We don't have any car engine specialty tools.
    I take it that the cam tools lock the cam at the #1 tdc location? and keep the chain from pulling the cam out of time. Where are you putting the 3/8 extension/ratchet set up?

4. 99TTGT

what are you trying to do?
    Are you trying to do the timming chains?

5. jt351

I have never used any special tools to time a 4.6 engine, Don't follow directions of the book, they want you to lock the engine at TDC which puts #1 piston all the way at the top, the trick is to turn the engine about 30 degrees left after getting to tdc, this puts all the pistons down in the whole so there is no chance of bending valves, turn cam till marks line up on chain and sprockets, DONE. Ford wants you to do this at tdc without followers that's how it won't bend valves. The Ford dealer here has the tools but have never used them, total waste of time and money.

6. stangman9897

Is it realy that simple. I want to do a head swap on my 2v as soon as i get my 4v back up in a couple weeks. Have built motors but allways get the shop to put the cams and chains on for me,i puss out when it comes to the timing don't want to f$$k something up but would like to do the 2v as a starting point and then try the 4v. later.

7. myillwillinc

otc has a tool for 4.6 engines. about 100 bucks at orielly auto parts.

8. blown99

I am building an engine using the mmr rotating assembly. I had them notch the pistons for future upgrades, but for now it will be stock heads and cams unless the money tree grows quickly this month.

9. jt351

Still as far as I know even with holding tools, you are then suppose to remove the followers, But then if you are going to remove followers what the fucking point of holding tools, 4.6's are the easiest thing to time line the odd colored chain link to the dot, wow tough, and if your chain is not colored, hold it up by hand and mark each end that easy. oh yeah install tensioners and remove pin.