1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pre-turbo nitrous injection.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by Forcefed86, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Forcefed86

So for the same reasons pre-turbo water/meth injection works well, why don't I see more nitrous setups this way? Any problems with nitrous going through the intercooler? Pro's/Con's?

Sorry if this has been discussed the search only brought up alky injection threads.

Thanks...

:cheers:

2. 68mustang

i think the nitrous could pool in the intercooler, so if youd get a backfire youd have a nice light show :eek:

3. fritznh

I've seen nitrous systems used for anti-lag (only on until 5psi or so) but they feed in after the intercooler in front of the throttle body. Nitrous makes a lot of exhaust gas and it spools the turbos like a shot, even if you're running something big. Maybe it works so well the "normal" way that nobody has ever tried it the other way. Since all you're really doing is putting extra oxygen into the inlet, it might not matter that much. Maybe the best way would be to put it in where everything is hottest, like after the turbo and before the intercooler. Don't know the answer on that one...

4. MONTEGOD7SS

I guess my question is why? If it's a single nozzle then just put it in right before the throttle body/carb.

5. Forcefed86

For the same reasons people have found pre turbo water/meth injection to be beneficial. It will increase the efficiency of the turbo charger itself. And it will still end up in your cylinders making all the extra exhaust energy as well.

6. MONTEGOD7SS

I don't know honestly. Meth/water is cheap, nitrous isn't, that's my guess on why most people don't do it. For $2/gal for meth, them mixed 50/50, that will get you a LOT of runs down the track for the same price as a bottle refill.

7. Forcefed86

Very true, but if your using the nitrous to aid in spooling a large turbo, meth/water won't help you. I'd planned on using a very large rear housing and using the nitrous to help spool. This is proven and obviously works very well. Just wondering if it may work better pre-turbo as opposed to post. Mainly if the nitrous would have any problems going through the inter-cooler etc.

8. MONTEGOD7SS

My only experience with nitrous spooling was a guy I know using it on his T72 Supra. It spooled pretty slow with the 6spd, but a 75hp shot made it come on like a light switch at the track.

9. Forcefed86

If you haven't read this it's an awesome read. In a nut shell they OP is running a 91mm monster lag turbo on a 3.8 v6 and it spools instantly.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135414.0

10. MONTEGOD7SS

Another problem is most class racing doesn't allow nitrous and turbos as they consider that two power adders. They don't care about using meth, so at least that way you get the intercooling advantage, but no help on spool up.

11. 302f150

I think you are chasing two different beasts... meth/water injection is used to cool the intake charge and drop combustion temps and slows down the combustion process, making it more stable/ less likely to detonates. Ive never seen anyone claim how much nitrous drops intake temps or say it makes an engine detonate less... I guess it would boil down to cost vs. How significant the iat drops are...

12. Nisan_Catron

i have wondered many times about injection propane, it would cool the intake charge and has an octane rating of around 110 from what I understand.... why have I never heard of anybody using it in a pump gas rig?

13. AIS

I think another big reason people use water methanol injection over nitrous is they want the added octane and knock suppression it offers. Nitrous will work great in aiding a turbo to spool up. But for the centri guys spooling up isn't an issue. Nitrous isn't doing anything to help suppress detonation or add an added engine safety. Its a great power adder.

Rodney

14. BlackMagic94

Nitrous lowers IAT as well, which in theory can help reduce ping, but you are also raising Psi in the chamber so it should be offset to a point. Spray N02 on your hand and tell me its not sub zero lol. There is a reason they sell nitrous kits to spray on the outside of the intercooler to cool it off, well you get the same effect spraying in the motor plus the benifit of more o2.

15. GOAT8U2

Ya there is a guy who ran Nitrous Preturbo and it did what you'd expect, spooled the turbo faster and lowered charge temps a bit due to the comp wheel being more efficient. I'd suppose you could run two setups just like Meth Injection and run a Pre and Post Nitrous system that would make madd power and spool the hell out of the turbo. Hell, you could throw the Meth Injection on top of that and really put a hurting on the block. :2thumbs:

Like they say, if you can think of it, it's already been done.

16. Nisan_Catron

Propane injection on a gas rig?? curious....

17. pwr6kid

Back in the 90's the turbo buick guys were using propane it worked well. It faded with time and with the use of alky rising.

18. wesk

When spraying a liquid, spraying it pre turbo aids in the vaporization of the liquid. The more you vaporize, the more the temp drop.

When spraying nitrous, it stays a vapor for the most part, and it will remove the same amount of heat (roughly equal delta T). Whether sprayed pre or post turbo. If you cool the charge before it goes into the IC, your available temperature difference (what make the IC transfer heat in the first place) is lower, and the IC will reject less heat.

You will have lower charge temps in the intake by allowing the hottest air possible to go through the IC, then spraying the nitrous.

19. brianj5600

Very true. I wonder also what the effects are on how much air the turbo will take in with N2O being introduced in front of the turbo vs N20 closer to the motor? On the surface in seems like there would be no difference, but there is a lot going on.

20. BlackMagic94

I was told by SDS back in the day that they made almost 100 rwhp on a SVO turbo car with a 35 shot of nitrous added. I removed my wet nozzle and installed a dry nozzle to spool the 88mm up on my car once I get it to the track and the nitrous will be controlled by the AEM and will be triggered to shut off at a certain load level and rpm.