1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

pre turbo muffler

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by yoteehunter, Jan 1, 2013.

1. yoteehunter

I am working on a remote mount turbo set up. I have dual 3" feed pipes. Who makes a decent muffler that would cut some of the sound down before my turbo? I dont need to get rid of all the rumble just bring it down to a streetable sound level. My concern is that a bullet mufflers insulation may come apart and go through the turbo. Surely there is a cheap bullet style muffler I can use to calm down the racket? I will have to put the muffler before the turbo because of my turbo location.

2. brianj5600

You don't really need a muffler. If you must, figure a way to put it after the turbo.

3. Andy Dorsett

Agreed. Do not put a muffler in front of a turbo!

4. mitch_04

A rear mount turbo's biggest enemy is lost of exhaust velocity. Well, that and not having good enough oil pressure! When you put a muffler in front of the turbo, you are going to kill the exhaust velocity and slow down the spooling immensly. A turbo quiets the exhaust quite a bit by itself, maybe run it without a muffler right away and see how it sounds, then add one AFTER the turbo if it's too loud.

5. yoteehunter

Ok let me clarify. Im putting a 520ci big block ford with twin T6 1.05a/r turbo housings remote mounted. I wont be hurting velocity enough to hold me back from reaching my power goals. I just need a good bullet style muffler to knock down the engine sound. It is to loud now with a 4.6L NON PI and I am sure with a 520 and big turbos it wont get better. Possibly a dynomax race bullet right on the header collector?

6. jridenour31

No, it won't hurt power output but it will add unnecessary lag. Why are you so opposed to putting the mufflers where they belong? Twin remote t6's will be laggy as hell if everything isn't perfect.

7. Andy Dorsett

I can't imagine how long this would take to spool. Can you be swayed to take a different route?

8. yoteehunter

Im only going to run 12psi so it wont take much. I dont have room for the turbos up front and they are heavy. It is a street car so I want to keep my A/C and all the good stuff easy to work on and change belts, plugs ect. I am running a lenco 5 speed clutchless so it will spool more like an auto wich helps too. Im not going nuts. Im over building for reliability reasons and setting a very attainable goal. Im fairly certain spool time wont be as important to me as if I was going for more of a "drag race" set up. This car is more of a standing mile car that will see lots of street time.

9. Turbohwagon

No pre-turbo mufflers. Ever.

10. stangman9897

Sounds like his mind is made up. If theres no room for after turbo muffler what are you doing with the down pipes.

11. yoteehunter

There really isnt much of a down pipe at all. Leaves the side exit exhaust wich is why I am trying to figure out how to work with sound pre turbo. I may weld in a few small baffles in a slightly larger OD pipe to try and help it out or something. I will have to figure something out.

12. jridenour31

Oh boy....

13. Gen1SVE

A remote mount turbo setup will soak up heat that the turbo would have used to spool, anything adding mass pre turbo will absorb more heat thus shrinking the exhaust gasses the turbos would have used to spool. Do anything but add mass before the turbine. They make some good mufflers that are very compact which may be worth looking into.

If you are only looking for 12psi I would only use a single up front, and you will be much happier as Andy Dorsett mentioned.

14. MONTEGOD7SS

OEM turbo cars have all kinds of shit before the turbo and they "work". One of the best improvements you can make is ditching the cat(s) in front of the turbo. If you have to have mufflers before the turbo, at least make it as straight through as possible like a fully open bullet muffler like a Dynomax or Borla. It won't be ideal, but it also won't make it unusable. Trying to spool a T6 1.05 with 260ci, that will be the fun part.

15. brianj5600

The 4 cylinder engine, ecotecs, have nothing between the port and turbo but a very short cast iron manifold. We build them here in Spring Hill. I have never seen anything pre turbo.

16. MONTEGOD7SS

Subarus have ever since the WRX was launched here.

17. Disney Lincoln

That's about the only one I can think of. Most every other MFG has nothing pre-turbo and keep the turbo as close to the exhaust val;ve as possible.

Either way, His idea of rear mount, twin T6 is absolutely terrible. I see nothing but fail coming from this. I hope he goes through with it.

18. PrecisionTurboMustang

This post is ridiculous. If you have room for 3" feed piping and t6 turbos you can figure out how to get some mufflers back there.

19. stangman9897

^^^ LOL your bad.

20. stangman9897

What car is this in ?