1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Powerglide Tranny Question Please Help

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by FordMan, May 18, 2005.

1. FordMan

I usually like to do a lot of research on things before buying or switching but I might have the opportunity to get a supposedly well built and not used yet glide with all the bells and whistles very cheap. It will be matted to my soon to be finished R block motor that should easily be in the 700-800 h.p. range.

Here are my questions:

1. How are they for driving on the street, especially cruising to the track that is 40 miles from my home ?

2. What are the good upgrades to look for ?

3. Are the converters expensive ?

4. Any downsides to them ?

5. Anything else to look for on them ?

I need to move quickly on this and do not have time to check around so I am relying on you guys. :D

Thanks

2. turbofreek

no you should have any problems with it on the street. the main thing for a p/g is to have a hardend turbo spline input shaft the standard shafts tendt to shear under harsh loads or transbreak usage. its not a big deal you can swapem realatively easy but the convertor has to match the shaft for the turbo spline. oh yea the spline on a t350 is the same as a p/g the spline im suggesting is a t400 splined shaft.

3. Disney Lincoln

1.) They are GREAT on the street!! only haev to shift once! Once in drive, it's the same as any automatic. I would haev no problem driving it 40 miles to a track.

2.) Good upgrades will be the hardened 350 input shaft, roller bearings, TB, 1.76 gear set, SFI bell, etc. etc. Anything in the Summit catalog!

3.) No, converters are not too exspensive, but you can get seom up over $1000 as with any transmission.

4.) Only down side I can think of is the little bit of low end that youwill lose.

5.) Make sure you haev a bitchin transmission cooler!!! That's the only thinkg that will keep one alive on the street!!

4. SoL_93GT

I think you should stick with the C4 for the cool wheels up launches.

Briane

5. FordMan

Man I can not hide anywhere. ;) :D

I am going to let the C4 have it for a while but if I can get this PG cheap for what it is supposed to be then I will throw it in the back of the garage.

6. rotoryota

Actually....the spline on the 350 and 400 are the same. The PG has the puny splines. Make sure you get a converter for a turbo350/400.......otherwise the turbo input shaft will not fit.

BTW, I went to the track last night and broke my hardned turbo input shaft. This makes the second one in a month's time. I guess I'm going to have to "bite the bullet" and get a Vasco shaft. My last shaft only made it through 4 launches and I'm out of spares.

7. turbofreek

id go with the glide it will stay under load and boosted more than a 3 spd less rpm and load change. also quite a bit lighter than any other trans. most people pick up a tenth or more.

8. fasteddie911

On the street, how soft is the power with the powerglide, say, below 3000rpms or so? And when you floor it, either off idle or from cruising rpms, is it a little softer/slower in spooling or revving than a 3-speed? thanks.