1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

powerglide/ converter question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SN 94cobra turbo351w, Jul 10, 2013.

1. SN 94cobra turbo351w

ok so one of the sponsors on my website is doing a dyno day this coming saturday.

so my question is when they have the car on the dyno what is it i should be looking at to see that my converter is loose or maybe a slipping transmission.

i know the converter is loose because it only drops 300rpm im just curious if their are other signs i should be looking at on the dyno

2. 302andsome

Check out this link to calculate converter slippage

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators/

You dont even need to be on the dyno for this either, you can just do a street pull when the converter is locked up.

Not stalking you I promise...it's these damn night shifts with nothing to do but check the boards lol

3. SN 94cobra turbo351w

lmao its all good.i just asked you a question on someone else thread about your timing.

i have seen wallaceracing.com and seen their converter slip % but how do you do it on the street? as to the track

4. 302andsome

Just use RPM and MPH.

Like when you choose a gear ratio to figure out top speed

Basically mathmatically in a perfect world you should be at a certain speen at 7000rpm....in reality you may be 10-15mph below that. The difference is the converter slip. But the converter needs to be locked up to get an accurate mph at a given rpm

5. 302andsome

Conv Slip% = [((RPM * Tire Height) / (Rearend Ratio * Trans Ratio * MPH * 336)) -1] * 100

Your info with a 275/60-15 tire and 3.23 gear Your top speed with that rear gear in high gear (1:1) should be 154mph, you just have to plug in the actual mph. You could use 85mph for low gear (assuming you have a 1.80 first) and see what it is then too, but you really want to see it in high gear.

Conv Slip% 0.519 = [((6000 * 28) / (3.23 * 1 * 154 * 336)) -1] * 100

6. SN 94cobra turbo351w

thats the issue im having.the car will pull to 6600 in low gear in high gear at a 3000rpm roll i hit it.it will only pull to 5700 and it seems to struggle.pete at hughes said im fighting the converter.

i just figured we are having a dyno day that maybe the dyno would help me more as to how bad the converter is loose

7. 302andsome

Yeah true...seems like its not wanting to lock up in high gear maybe? I'm a noob at converters, I just know how they are suppose to feel when I'm driving lol. I'm not sure how a dyno session would really help you then if you cant even rev it out in high gear.

8. SN 94cobra turbo351w

yea im a noob to converters also.

as for the dyno im not sure either.i have just heard people talk about it.lol

9. SN 94cobra turbo351w

ok as for calculating MPH in gear it says at 6500 RPM with a 27.90 tire height and a 3.27 gear my max speed should be 165.

so i changed the max rpm to 5700 and it says 145 MPH and im gonna say no way in hell im even close to 145.maybe low 130s
    [h=1][/h]

10. 302andsome

Right but if the converter isnt locked up then it wont be a solid value. At say 133mph with that info would be around 11% slippage....not good lol. Either way it seem you've got to send it back in and spec'd/stalled for your combo man

11. SN 94cobra turbo351w

ok so the question is how do i know if the converter is locking up?

12. kyle86

This is what is confusing me in this thread. A powerglide has a non-lockup converter meaning that it always slips. Do you mean you need to be wot and high rpm to determine the correct slip?

13. Rickracer

:cool:In this case, lockup = well above stall speed, I.E. minimum slippage,

14. mcj50

A dyno loads a car very differently then the track. You may notice severe slippage but you really need to be at the track to get meaningful data for your converter builder.