1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Power falling off @ 5000, turbo or cam?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BIGRCB, Dec 27, 2007.

1. BIGRCB

Recently had my car dynoed after some work. The power started dropping off @ 5k rpm and it does not like to rev past 5500. I am wondering if the turbo is choking off the motor, or if the cam is as much the problem. Brief rundown of my setup, 347, cnc'd victor jr's , b cam, and hellion kit with 66mm upgrade, .96 a/r. I have not done a compression check, but was told approx. 9:1. I would like to change one or the other, as I am not really excited about putting much more money into the car.

2. Drac0nic

What about your valve springs?

3. PEARL MUSSIN

I had the same porblem and it ended up being a bent pushrod. :bang:

4. Drac0nic

Oh yeah, what are you running for an ignition and plug gap?

5. CW25

Kinda a small turbo for that engine. 347 cubes and CNC'd Vic jr means alot of air IMO. A 76 mm turbo would be more like it. I have no idea as to what B cam specs are and you didn't mention boost level... I would lean towards a bigger turbo. Just a thought.

6. Red91StangCT

B-Cam does not like to rev. I would check that, but i'd do the basics first.

7. BIGRCB

ignition is msd 6al, plugs are gapped @ .028, and running between 15 and 25lbs. depending on what fuel I am running. I guess I will pull the pushrods, and check the springs first. I have a feeling I need a 76mm on the car. I was thinking of jumping on the bandwagon with the s400, however I hate to start pulling the car apart again. I just got the car back together!

8. Control Freak

did boost hold steady thru the entire pull?

9. CW25

Even if boost doesn't fall off you will hit a wall as it goes out of its efficiency range. Just blowing hot air. Yeah 15 to 25 lbs yikes you need a larger turbo. I think you will notice a nice increase in power. The sx400 t4 flange wouldn't be any more fabbing than a t76 type turbo. You have more housing options as well. .90, 1.0, 1.10 and 1.25. in T4 and T6 is upgradable to 80mm quite easily. That is why I bought one myself in a T6 because I am setup for that. Dave is a good guy and put up with alot of questions from me over a long period of time.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93909.0

Here is a rouph estimate of your engine at 15psi and comparing S400 to a T66. Just thought I would help making a informed decision.

10. BIGRCB

Thanks for the info! I thought the sx400 was t6 flanged only. I think I am going to call Dave @ Majestic and get one ordered.

11. mustanggreg

What manifold?

12. BIGRCB

systemax

13. svooh

Bcam is too tiny. And the 66 should be okay for a street car.

14. 90lxrider

i would say B cam also....thats like one step up from stock.....not made to rev.....F cam is suppose to be better for turbos

15. Cobra93

does e-cam have similar issues... I was told it would be better for street use, and kept it from my n/a setup. I know they are great for superchargers, so I would be wondering if an e-303 would significantly choke a 306 on afr heads, and 1.71 rolller rockers. Just currious. Forgive me if this is kinda a threadjack. :doh:

16. MUSTANG B

I'd say turbo is out of steam on that motor as well....347's want too eat! I am doing the same but for expermentation purposes for self satisfaction and helping others with my trial and errors..