1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stick with stock or F it?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by blown8950, Dec 15, 2009.

1. blown8950

Hey guys, I'd like to take a poll of sorts. I've got a turbo motor on the engine stand and plan on dropping it into my '90 coupe in the spring, and now would be the time for a cam swap should I decide to do one. The question is why should I forgo the stock cam (or not) and swap in an F cam? The engine specs are as follows:

Stock block 302-78,000 miles
    Turbonetics 62mm turbo
    PMAS 3" blow thru
    70mm TB
    Unported Cobra Intake
    42lb. injectors (255 lph in-tank pump w/ stock lines/rails)
    Edelbrock 1.90/1.60 Performer RPM's
    Comp Pro Magnum 1.6's
    Stock cam
    Meziere 312 waterpump
    MSD 6AL
    Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan

The engine made 423 rwhp @ 4800 rpm's and 490 rwtq @ 4200 rpm's with 19 degrees total timing, and had an 11:1 A/F ratio above 5500 rpm's. Also, this was with the stock waterpump and through an AOD. Now I've got the Meziere pump and it's going into a five speed car. Please understand that drivability is way more important to me than all-out power, as this car is 95% street, and the thing was hella fun already. So, should I leave well enough alone or swap in the F cam while it's convienient? Thanks.

2. MONTEGOD7SS

I would leave it personally. You are going to be able to make more than enough power to split the block with the stock cam, so with a F cam you are just losing some driveability and still limited by the stock block on power.

3. stangboy86

what he said

4. Andy Dorsett

I think that cam would actually hurt you. Since you've got decent heads and a Cobra intake I think this cam would push you way to the right of the 62mm's map.

5. lxhatch302

i ran a similar setup too what you have with my stock shortblock setup....

stock 93 120k bottom end
    windsor jrs
    TFS Stage 1
    edlebrock performer RPM
    BUILT AOD and EDGE conv
    PTK 76mm

car made 475 on pump gas and 575 on race tune, went 9.91 @ 140
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lxhatch302#p/u/11/7cKvkCX7ciA

the cam worked AWESOME with this setup and if i were to ever do a stock shortblock setup again id run the same cam...

6. Enginerd

I started with a stock cam and 1.7 rockers, then switched to a F cam/1.6 rockers. I saw no loss of drivability with the F cam. Made good vacuum, idled nice, etc.

7. svooh

I'd also probably leave the stock cam, unless you have 600hp in mind. That would come alot easier with a bit more cam.

Either way you go, you'll be on the ragged-edge with those 42# injectors. I'd switch to 55's or 60's before pouring the coal to it. :2thumbs:

8. 427notch

I ran an F cam for years with no drivability issues at all, but I agree that you should just leave her alone. You are already on the edge of splitting that stock block.