1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I Bought A Jeep!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by craig6.9diesel, May 10, 2015.

1. craig6.9diesel

I am pretty much done with my Mustang so I needed a new project. So I got me a Jeep. I really have been missing the off road life here lately so I decided it was time to get back into it. I found this little gem in Charleston last week. Its a 2001 Classic. The rear axle has already been swapped to an 8.8 out of an Explorer. It has 4.56s and lockers front and rear. The lift is a Skyjacker Rock Ready 6 inch lift with 2 inch coil spacers and blocks to give it 8 total. It currently has stock and wore out steering but I already bought a new steering system from Iron Rock Off Road. I also am going to take the spacers and blocks out. I think it sits to high. The interior is super clean as is the paint which is crazy because this thing is built to wheel. What you guys think?
    Jeep.jpg #ad

Jeep.jpg #ad

2. Turbo-Box

Those things are like the Fox-body mustangs of off-roading.

3. craig6.9diesel

I agree and I learned over the years to buy projects that have a lot of the expensive stuff done. Then finish it and make it your own. The lift isn't my favorite but I can fix that later. And I won't have to buy extra stuff because it's already done.

4. slimbobaggins

Nice looking XJ.

Gonna turbo it? :)

I'm slowly reviving a beat old 22R Toyota (I too miss the 4wd life) and I keep telling myself I'll never turbo it... But you never know.

My brother in law has an XJ and it's on the list to turbo some day. Something magical about a turbo straight 6.

5. Drac0nic

Nice Jeep, my wife wants me to get a Wrangler and I keep cringing at the notion. Probably because it'd never get off roaded and if it did it'd be another project for me to dump time/money into.

My buddy is swapping his 83ish Toyota pickup. It doesn't seem that hard to do. You wanna blow through that 22R though, you know you do. I bet that there's a ton of aftermarket to make it happen too. Even a little T3 with say 10 PSI.

6. slimbobaggins

I just started tearing down a Motorcraft 2100 to rebuild and stick on there in place of the stock Aisan carb. Im not sure I've ever seen a MC2100 used in a blow through application.

7. Drac0nic

First time for everything. Funnily enough googling that carb it looks almost like a CFI unit on the flange. Those units are getting hard to come by, but it would be an interesting EFI swap.

8. craig6.9diesel

image.jpg #ad

I removed the coil spacers and lift blocks. It drives was better, and flexes better! I ordered a new steering setup. I hope it will be here before next weekend!

image.jpg #ad

9. Turbo-Box

Looks good man!

10. slimbobaggins

What size tires are those? Any rubbing w only the 6" lift now?

11. craig6.9diesel

The tires are 33x12.50 Cooper MT. I am not 100% sure on the lift. I thought it was a 6 inch kit but I have learned that the relocation bracket/axle brace was only available with the 8 inch kit. So it may be 8 inches with 33s. I did replace all the front steering. I bought a kit from Iron Rock Off Road. Its big and heavy. I am hoping for years of trouble free service out of it.
    IMG_1708.jpg #ad

I put a new hub on the passenger side too. I was surprised how easy it came apart! Oh and I pulled the rear diff cover off because it doesn't act like it has a rear locker. Well it doesn't. It has a Detroit TruTrack. Its better the an open diff I guess, and honestly probably better for me since it is my daily. It does have 4.56 gears though.
    IMG_1714.jpg #ad

Next I will probably do new front ball joints and have it aligned so I can put new tires on. I have been going back and forth between keeping 33s and stepping up to 35s. The Goodyear MTRs through 4 wheel Parts are basically the same price. I have the gear and with the rear 31 spline 8.8 and the bigger version of the dana 30 I think it will handle it. But I don't know. probably change my mind 17 times before I pull the trigger.

IMG_1708.jpg #ad

IMG_1714.jpg #ad

12. craig6.9diesel

So this jeep has come a long way since I bought it
    image.jpg #ad

I got new tires and had to resetup the front and rear ring and pinion. It was all out of whack. I also Bought a long arm upgrade. Now I have been wheeling the heck out of it! image.jpg #ad
    image.jpg #ad
    image.jpeg #ad

image.jpeg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpeg #ad

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    06turbofusion likes this.
  13. Hemann

Pretty cool. I did a lot of 4-wheeling in my younger years. Wish I had something that nice.

2 questions?

What is a "long arm upgrade"?

Does it have a turbo?

14. craig6.9diesel

Jeeps have a 4 link front suspension, the arms are short which is ok if you just have a small lift, there are also drop brackets that can relocate your stock style arms for larger lifts. Then there is a long arm setup. Most of them move the control arms to the transmission crossmember. So the arms are about twice as long. Mostly it give you a better ride.

And no turbo, I just like to share my other projects/ hobbies.

15. Hemann

Used to go 4-wheeling all the time until they started closing off the areas.

Cool Jeep. I can't believe that you can get that tall of a tire with no problems.

16. craig6.9diesel

Going from 33s to 35s was a tough decision but I am glad I did. I only rub on full compression and it's just barely. Having 4.56 gears helps a lot but the brakes leave a little to be desired. I'm moving to Texas in a few months. I'm excited for some new wheeling spots.

17. rfalker1

looks sweet!

18. craig6.9diesel

Just an update, the Jeep went full retard, or I did not sure which. [​IMG]#ad

I bought a Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 out of a Super Duty. I'm stretching the wheelbase from around 100 inches to 110, building a custom 3 link front and maybe triangulated 4 link rear.[​IMG]#ad

I also finally bought me a good welder.[​IMG]#ad

19. Hemann

That looks like a huge project. Why the extended wheel base? What are you going to use in the differentials?

20. craig6.9diesel

It is a big project. The longer wheelbase helps with a lot of obstacles. I'm going with a 40 inch tire so break over angle won't be effected much and my approach and departure angles will greatly improve. Gears will be 5.38s and at first I'm going to just weld the front and the rear is a posi. Eventually when money allows it(next time I deploy) I'll buy lockers for it. I've always wanted to do a big custom offroad build so I figure now was as good a time as any. It's starting to cool down in Texas so I can work on it more.