1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much power are you modular guys making with 91 octane?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by darkhrse99, Oct 2, 2007.

1. darkhrse99

My car should be starting this week and i'm not quite sure on the max hp i should be shooting for on pump gas. I have 302 stroker 2v motor with 9.2:1 compression. I can only get 91 octane and need a safe tune. What hp do you guys recoomend?

2. autosay97

I had 9.8:1 and my tuner told me not to go over 11 psi which was about 440-450 ish rw. I think he was being pretty conservative though. I wish I had a set of knock sensors at the time, that would've told me the true limitations on pump.

3. jinx44

Well, 93 octane is the highest we have here, so that is what I tuned on. I have the same engine setup you do, and the same compression. At 15psi, it put down 604 to the wheels through a 4R70 auto. That is without water/methanol.

4. darkhrse99

Damn you made 604 on a 2V!!! those are impressive numbers.

5. y2k2gt

You ever thought about using that stuff that comes in a 32oz can.

6. Stang96GT

The HP on Octane will vary from engine to engine. It depends a lot on the compression,(you know), the shape of the cylinder bowl, plugs , timimg. The best thing to do is discuss it with your engine builder, or with a shop that does a lot of Modular work. I've "heard" of guys making over 600 to the wheels on pump gas. Whether methenol injection was used or not, I'm not sure.

Jon

7. darkhrse99

I'm the engine builder and tuner, so I' just trying to get a feel one what others are making.

8. jinx44

Thanks! I was impressed. And that is through an auto with a loose converter. :2thumbs:

HP twin 57 kit at 15psi, ported heads, VT turbo cams, 5.0 stroker.

9. darkhrse99

Maybe 500-550 hp isn't too much hp for 91 octane?

10. jinx44

I wouldn't think so. Its more boost/timing though than total HP. I am running 15* of timing.

11. AIS

Be sure to check out our trunk mounted water/methanol injection systems at www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com Our systems comes fully assembled and tested to ensure the best customer satisfaction every time.

For questions concerning water/methanol injection email us at
    This content is protected

Benefits of Water Alcohol/Methanol Injection:

Lower air temperatures by 50-250+ degrees
    Reduces cylinder temperatures by 300+ degrees
    Increase your 87-93 pump gas by 8-20+ points
    Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
    Allows you to safely run more boost and timing
    Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression
    Removes carbon build up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves
    Reduces & helps eliminate damaging engine detonation & pre-ignition
    No need for expensive racing fuel or additives

12. dave281sc

Boost @ 12 psi, lower if IAT's go above 160* during a pass. Timing 5* @ 3000 RPM increasing to 10* max timing @ 6500 RPM. A/F ratio no leaner than 11.5:1 under any circumstances. Examine your plugs each run for peppering (Detonation). Increase your timing 1* each run. Back it off 2*-3* if there are any signs of detonation, or you could increase your boost 1 lb each run.

Whatever the car makes is what it makes. Don't try to tune your car by HP. Safe HP will always beat blown up HP.

Put a Meth Inj and you will be able to make probably an extra 50-75 HP through additional timing and/or boost, but you need to take safety precautions against inadvertant injection (Hydrolock).

13. Remote Booster

This is a very informative thread for what it is, suck up all the knowledge you can from these posts.

14. niels04cobra

you'll be more than find making 550hp with pump gas as long as you tune the car accordingly. I've driven mine with about 750rwhp daily on pump. Biggest reason I decided to move the boost down was traction. Felt like i got more out of the car on the street with 650rwhp. With the number of tunes i've tried on my own car, i'd recommend a 11.1-11.5 a/f (while on the dyno, and seems to run richer on the street/track), 14-16 degrees of timing, and know my car is conservative.