1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ported Vic 5.0 intake.. hurting my performance?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by StukThrtl, May 31, 2004.

1. StukThrtl

I bought a max ported Vic 5.0 and have been running it for a while. I'm wondering if you guys think performance is taking a hit because of it? It came with a custom extention that goes in between the upper intake and the cover i've been thinking of putting on. Just not sure if it will fit ok with a 2-1/2" cowl hood.

2. Superskwrl

hurting what performance, you have 3 car's in the sig, i dont think its the carb'd 1 though, let us know what the combo is??

3. StukThrtl

Sorry about that..

Track heat heads
    TFS #1 cam
    Vic 5.0 intake
    8-12psi for now
    AOD 3500 stall converter
    3.73 gear
    Cartech outlaw t64 kit

I got a steal on the price for the intake, that's why i bought it. With the same combo with a vortech at 15psi i went 10.55 @ 128

4. Superskwrl

from what i understand that intake flows lot of cfm generally used for hi rpm, your combo doesn't look like its geared for hi rpm,

i would think that @ higher boost it wouldn't be as much as a concern

5. AngryNick

Agree with Superskwrl. Something like the TFS R would probably better for your combo.

6. Outlaw5.0

The TFS R in my opinion is still too big, I prefer the Holley Systemax or the new redesigned Edelbrock Performer RPM 2.

7. Superskwrl

i like the looks of the RPM2, if i were goin to buy a new intake that would be it

8. SoL_93GT

I almost bought one too until I looked up the operating power band was, 4000-8000. Definately too big for your engine especially if it is ported. Sell it and get a street type intake.

Briane

9. Barry D.

bah, nothing more boost can't make up for. volume vs velocity goes out the window once you start cranking on the boost controller :D

10. thundercoupe

Keep the intake, if it was n/a combo I'd say sell it, but it's turbocharged so I'd keep it.

11. Incon306

I'd sell the intake and get something like an RPM2 on there. I'd guess you losing a decent amount of power and a lot of torque because of the intake.

FWIW, my buddy switched from a Hogan upper/GT-40 lower to a GT-40 upper/lower and gained 30rwhp and 50rwtq almost across the board!

I believe twofast also had similar results with his Incon setup.

12. AngryNick

TFS R is a street style intake. I dont think its too big for boost. I know some nitrous guys that gained good power and dropped a few tenths off of their 1/4 mile times (on the 150-200 shot) by switching to the TFS R intake. They have your basic aluminum head and cam combo as well.

13. Outlaw5.0

As with anything, it all depends on variables........rpm range, piston speed, port volume, camshaft design, and many others. :D