1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PonyDown hot parts kit + MP T-70 w/.68 and DIY Cold side..........

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by Silverfox, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Silverfox

Took it to the dyno today, same place as Ronnie (another local guy I hope to meet at the track soon).
    Here's the low down.....
    Production 5.0 forged pistoned shortblock with 150K miles on it
    e-cam
    trickflow trackheat heads
    Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
    75mm TB
    3.27 gears
    Wastegate has 10 lb spring in it, no boost controller

On the dyno, the car saw 12 lbs of boost and with 16 degrees of timing it put down.......
    484 hp and 497 tq to the tires!!!
    I will post the dyno sheet soon, will be running the car today at Gainesville Race Way.

2. miamijdm

if the car is auto, look out for that 10 sec timeslip!!! good luck bro :chacha:

3. Silverfox

No, the car is currently a 5 spd, but I do see an automatic in it's future though.

I took the car to the track today for a less than stellar performance first time out with it. Best pass was without a burnout on 26x 11.50 et streets. Car went 12.59 @ 114 mph. After that things went downhill. The Spec Stage 2 clutch heated up pretty good on other passes with burnouts. I didn't have a firewall adjuster for the clutch cable on or an aftermarket quadrant and by the 3 pass, the clutch pedal was on the floor and unable to shift gears. I'll put those two items on the car and continue to drive it until I can get the automatic swap done but I probably won't take it to the track again until that's done.
    As far as how the car felt, it was definitely different. I'm a nitrous guy who has made the switch to the turbo setup. The turbo spools up at about 3500 rpms and it's on like donkey kong! LOL! I'll miss the 1.39 60ft's on nitrous but I'm sure I'll compensate down the track. I must admit though, the MP T-70 has a unique sound versus's some other turbos I've heard.

4. ray91

so your using a spec2 clutch and its not enough?? Im debating either a spec3 or centerforce....

5. Silverfox

I think I'm right at the limit of the Spec 2. When I do change, I will be putting a centerforce dual friction in it from Pro-Motion.

6. shootrmcgee

I've got a CF dual friction, 1st and 2nd it seems to hold decent. But in third gear, it will smoke it up. The clutch was holding great before the turbo install. I'm hopefully going AOD soon. My combo resembles your except a F-cam, Spyder intake, and 3.55's. I don't have a safe tune yet, so I've only been able to get on it a few times(thank goodess I've not popped it, as it is running lean. No more until it's tuned.) But as soon as it's tuned, I'm going to the local 1/8 and I'll post some times. CF makes good stuff, I just don't know if it's up to snuff for turbo applications. Good luck and keep us posted as I will with my progress. :2thumbs:

7. ducatibrian

do yourselves a favor and do not use the centerforce pressure plates in turbo apps-they work ok on a supercharged set-up but do not have the clamping force in low rpms to hold the turbo torque loads...the d/f discs though work well even if used with another pressure plate.

8. Power Adder Solutions Inc.

No Less then A Spec 3!!! If you go that route. Trust me, Been there done that! You will smoke a Spec 2 or Centerforce.

9. Silverfox

Thanks guys! I think I will stick with the 5 spd. as I have more than one project going on. I was thinking of CF dual friction disc for the next clutch kit but now I'm not so sure. I'm using a ProMotion T5, and had it on my other car with a CF df with nitrous. With that setup, I was launching the car at 6K on the bottle and had trouble getting it into third gear going down the track. I did put the quadrant and firewall adjuster in this past weekend. Now I'm waiting on a good track day.

10. Silverfox

Update 11-23-07.....

I replaced the T-5 with a TKO500 and a stronger clutch
    I went to the track last week and here are the two best passes.....

first pass, no burnout....
    1.911 60 ft.
    7.982 1/8 mile ET
    92.83 1/8 mile mph
    12.131 1/4 mile ET
    119.22 1/4 mile mph

second pass, with burnout...
    1.651 60 ft.
    7.908 1/8 mile ET
    75.13 1/8 mile mph
    12.509 1/4 mile ET
    113.47 1/4 mile mph

The second pass the pressure plate colapsed, I had to double pump it into 3rd gear. If you look closely at the driver door after I roll forward you should see some smoke coming out from the side. I'm really getting fustrated with the clutch situation. I'm tempted to go with the Spec 3+ but not sure.

videos.......

11. turbon5.0

Or you can go with a dual disc mcleod clutch that will be more streetable that a stage 3 clutch and still be softer than those super stiff pressure plates. It also holds 1200+ so you wont have to worry about it. Only thing is, they are much more pricey.

12. Silverfox

Is the twindisc setup worth it on a 10 spline input shaft?

13. turbon5.0

Well its hard to say because it is all about preference and how much can you spend. All I know is that all the people who buy these love them much more than stage 3's and they handle much more with way better street manners. Gotta weigh things out yourself.

14. ami2loud

your setup is basically identical to mine! :2thumbs:

put in an auto with a TB and bust some 10's!

15. Silverfox

Yeah, that's what I'm contemplating vs. shelling out $1000+ for a twin disc clutch setup. I have a JW C4 with all the bells and whistles sitting on the shelf. I've kept my black car streetable with a manual transmission. How do you think the C4 w/3.27 gears would hold up to 20 miles of highway each way to work and back home? I have the B&M cooler and 6an lines as well.
    ami2loud, Is your car a full weight car or have you lightened it?

16. slow5.0.

Go with a Ram 900 serious clutch.. mine has held up great with 600+ rwtq

17. TwoFastT3s

I drive mine all the time, C-4 with 3.08's and 26" tires. 25miles to work one way, I love it!!

Nate

18. carbmofo

Work on those shifts, and the car is going to go ALOT faster with a good clutch :cheers:

19. king coupa

that's awesome for a build pretty close to what i wanna do. once you get it dialed in im sure it's gonna be the stuffing-cake

20. boosted88coupe

I just installed a spec stage 3 plus in a customers 2000 saleen s281... it is a fairly modified car. remember you need to use a factory clutch cable, the motorsport two paw quadrant and a firewall adjuster I also prefer the new motorsport clickster firewall adjuster. You won't be disappointed. It is an amazing clutch... it feels like a near factory pedal with all the luxuries of being able to street drive the car and still thrash on it. When my spec 3 gets worn I am going to a stage 3 plus... I have a turbo'd windsor with a tko in my coupe.
    brandon