1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

T-76GTS Backpressure test data

Discussion in 'FAQ's, Turbo Info, and the archives' started by engineermike, Jun 3, 2006.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engineermike

I've pretty much completed my backpressure testing on the T-76 GTS. Here's what I got:

Recent customer build using a 3.5" downpipe and 377 cid:
    10 psi boost - 18 psi backpressure
    18 psi boost - 26 psi backpressure

My personal car using a 3" downpipe and 363 cid:

With single 3.5" cat-back and a 3.5" Hooker Aerochamber:
    11 psi boost - 35 psi backpressure
    21 psi boost - 48 psi backpressure

With no cat-back, 3" downpipe only:
    19 psi boost - 34 psi backpressure

The next step is to purchase a Magnaflow 3.5" straight-through muffler to replace the Aerochamber and hopefully keep the backpressure down, but keep it quiet.

The interesting part is that I used the exact same boost controller setting when I removed the exhaust and saw a boost increase from 11 to 19 psi. It seems as though the boost controller and wastegate work more off of backpressure than boost since both had the same ~35 psi backpressure.

Another interesting point is that removing the exhaust caused a change from 21 psi/48 psi to 19 psi/34 psi but, even with a huge reduction in backpressure (-14 psi), the quarter mile mph didn't seem to improve. Hmmm. . . 140 mph before and after. But, switching from a bias ply to a radial tire netted a 3 mph increase to 143.

Mike

2. papis408w

very good information :2thumbs:. Now I just have to get to work on making a 3.5 DP

3. SWT Racing

Interesting numbers there Mike. I'm still trying to make sense of them. I'll be logging backpressure before the turbine whenever I can get to the track or dyno next.

One thing to note about removing your exhaust at the track and the lack of gains in MPH. I see the definite potential for gain since you went the same MPH with 2 psi less boost. Crank it back up to 21 psi and see what happens. :2thumbs:

4. engineermike

True. 2 psi = 50 hp. Something that also occured to me later is that those runs were on 2 different nights. When I ran 21 psi/48 psi it was cool (70 deg) and dry, while a couple weeks later at 19 psi/35 psi it was warm (90 deg) and humid.

5. FastAOD

Good info Mike...

I finished my plumbing last night, and will be logging my bp today. Its a 306/MPT70/.68 car....I will post the results later...

6. ivanhoew

also mike (oh and thanks for the data),could a full system be exiting in a area of lower pressure ,eg at the back of the car ,makinmg the pressure in the exhaust reduce the faster you go ?
    regards robert.

7. LRD VDR

3.5" Dp and no muff's :2thumbs:

Shahram

8. Bobby

I am in the same boat man. I hate my 3" DP, this is some awesome data though.

9. ChrisA351

Thanks!!!

I'm glad I stuck it out with the 3.5.

10. papis408w

anybody have any pics of their 3.5 DP? prefer a PTK kit w/ it.

11. Mick

On my webpage shows putting the 3 1/2" together about 1/2 way down the page. Link in sig.

12. papis408w

Mick got a couple of questions that I'll pm you about to not hi jack the thread

13. LRD VDR

You kit didn't come with 3.5 dp? My Gen II kit with T 76GTS came with a 3.5 dp.

Shahram

14. 1Hot89Lx

Great information Mike......maybe one of the moderators can make a sticky for this kind of information since its quite helpful and few people have posted their BP results recently.

15. Bellman Jeff

Very good info...Thanks..

16. papis408w

they come w/ 3in unless you specify 3.5 :( you have any pics?

17. silverback

What muffler?

How does that sound? I always liked the sound of aerochambers (have one on my truck). What about running a 3.5' DP and a 3.5 or 4' aerochamber?

18. engineermike

Sorry. The 377 with the 3.5" downpipe had no muffler. Actually, to clarify, this was done on an engine dyno, so it used a large industrial 6" dyno muffler.

The 3.5" Aerochamber sounds great and I've previously had very good luck with them. However, the addition of 14 psi backpressure is unacceptable. My guess is that running a 3.5" downpipe and using a 3.5" Aerochamber would yield somewhere around 40 psi backpressure at 20 psi boost, but that's just an extrapolation (educated guess).

Mike

19. silverback

Well, my point was that I would assume that the 3.5 or 4' aerochamber flows much more then a 3', so it shouldn't be as bad a restriction, but I've never actually seen flow numbers for either one. I know that the 3' fit just below the straight through mufflers and well above most of the other performance mufflers flow wise, part of your issue is that a 3' exhaust is really just too small for that kind of hp, not really muffler design.

I'd love to hear your car both ways, with the hooker and without it'¦

20. engineermike

FYI, last night, I made 2 runs back to back and recorded the boost pressure. With a 3.5" Aerochamber muffler, it made 12 psi boost. I pulled the muffler (and only the muffler) and with not other changes, it made 19 psi boost.

My new 3.5" Magnaflow is on order.

Mike

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
bridal-shoal