1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Garrett ht3b help.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mj1995, Jul 6, 2014.

1. mj1995

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, I'm working on gaining knowledge and parts to compound turbo my dodge 89 cummins. For this project I bought a junkyard find Garrett ht3b turbo. However the wheel needs to be replaced as it had some metallic object go through the fins and the fins have many small chips in the front edges. I've done a lot of looking trying to find a new wheel but I could only find a wheel for a holset ht3b. My turbo has a Garrett part number of 144700-0000. Any help on finding if the holset compressor wheel is the same size as the Garrett or where I could find a Garrett compressor wheel would be greatly appreciated. Also if anybody knows and other info on my turbo that would be greatly appreciated also.

2. murdamonte

gpopshop.com call and I'm sure the garrett ht3b is a replacement for the Cummings version

3. tchargers

The 144700-0000 is a BHT3B turbo which is a reverse rotation turbo. They were used on dozens of Old Cummins engines from 280 to 400HP. Parts for these old Dinosaurs are scare nowadays. Your best hope is to start calling every Turbo repair shop in the nation and maybe you will get lucky and someone will have one. The Part Number for the wheel your looking for is 144715-0. Just keep in mind that once you build a setup around this reverse rotation turbo you are committed to it has nothing else will fit. If you ever want to use a different turbo you will have to build a new system all over again. IMO your best bet is to get a S400 for your system. A proven performer in a Cummins compound setup. Fits better, Is light years ahead in Performance and Technology and can be easily upgraded if you want more someday.

4. mj1995

Ok I found a supposed Garrett s400 fit sale but haven't been able to find anything on it maybe you would know? It's a part number 409230-5001. Ice searched it a bunch and called many places but couldn't find anything on it. Guy says it's a Garrett but there are no Garrett marks on the turbo at all. Thank you for all the help.

5. tchargers

Garrett doesn't make the S400, Borg Warner does. That 409230-5001 is not a good number. I don't find it anywhere in the Garrett Database

6. mj1995

Yea that's why I want to interested in buying it. So what do you mean by the turbo is spun backwards? Or it's reversed?

7. tchargers

Normal turbo spins clockwise:
    P1010004-1.jpg #ad

Reverse Rotation spins Counterclockwise:
    196800 1.jpg #ad

P1010004-1.jpg #ad

196800 1.jpg #ad

8. mj1995

So just the plumbing well be different on it. Not a problem, my grandfather owns a full custom fabrication shop. I know how to build stuff just don't know about turbos.