1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Vs Supercharger

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by excel_autoparts, Jun 16, 2005.

1. excel_autoparts

Hey guy im building a ford 418 w stroker motor with afr 205 heads im lookin at getting ether a j trim renegade supercharger or a Masterpower GT 45 turbo. which one will give me more power. what are the pros or cons of both kits? can i have a bov on a supercharger? thanks

2. Traction Issuez

Compare the flow of either head unit. What is the intent for the car? A BOV will work with a turbo or a supercharger.
    issuez

3. 92whitelx

i would say that both will make good power, just personal preference on what you want.

4. engineermike

You really have to look at the compressor maps and compare. If the efficiency of both units is close to the same at the desired flow and pressure, then the turbo will make way more torque and some more power than the supercharger due to a more efficient drive mechanism. That is, of course, if the headers/y pipe/downpipe/turbine AR and trim all work together in the turbo to keep the backpressure in check.

Mike

5. Bobby

Im kind of curious why you would need to ask a question like this on TURBOmustangs forum? Maybe its just me. Were you expecting anyone to really say, "get the supercharger"?

6. engineermike

Bobby, what kind of power numbers / et / mph are you getting out of your combo?

7. gofastcrackpipe

Well he is just asking what we think of either systems. I know a lot of people on here have had superchargers and such. I had one on a 93 cobra power was great, but I would much rather run a turbo that would make more power.

8. Scott02GT

keyword here, had superchargers.

If you can afford it and are willing to learn, then by all means dude......
    get the supercharger hahah

9. Icepick

on a 418 with 205's the J trim would make more power but belts are problematic... The GT45's turbine is to small for that combo and will limit your high RPM power... If you want to use a turbo get something bigger like a T6 flange 88 - 91 or use twins...

Good luck!

10. 94TURBO50

On this 5.0 I've had an S-Trim w/ 12#'s and then a KB w 10#'s then this turbo currently. I had them all in the last year and I'm the happiest I've ever been with a power adder.
    I have no complaints about this turbo yet but the blowers had probs with belt slippage , unless you go cogs and with the KB I never found any for that. The KB uses the same belt as your acc's and it has to be super tight. The belts would just degrade and leave rubber shavings/dust all over my motor and hood underside.
    Boost....on both of my blowers I had to change the pulley to boost level (+/-). That blows when with a turbo its a push of a button or a turn of a dial within secs.
    I'ved enjoyed a 125 shot of n2o as my first power adder and then ran it on my V-1 S-Trim, V2 SQ S-Trim, and the KB. Great awesome power but scary so I added an SP methanol kit, better and safer IMO.
    I haven't tried it on the turbo but would like to soon.

Get a Turbo and you will be happier IMO. :tu: