1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Plumbing intercooler water.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by WaterPog, Jun 19, 2005.

1. WaterPog

Well, this whole process has actually gone pretty darn well. I ended up using 1" reinforced vinyl hose and a modified bilge pump, it'll drain my 5Gal cell in about 30sec w/o the intercooler inline. I need to make up a set of manifolds for the intercooler because it has 3 1" inlet and outlet fittings. For the sump I just gave up completely on the rear mounted AN fittings and plugged them. I put together a 1" PVC manifold that mounts to the bottom of the sump. One end goes to the drain (3/4" PVC ball valve) and the other has a 1" hose barb on it for the feed to the pump.

I'll shoot some pics later when it's a bit more complete.

2. WaterPog

3. tom351

looking good...thats pretty much how i plumbed mine too...

4. SteedaJeff

Lookin good!

Is your car going to be a track-only car?

5. WaterPog

Mostly, I am thinking about running true street at FFW in california but it would cost m me more to get it re-licensed than what the payout would be if I won :-/ It'll be capable of the cruse and passes though.

6. BoostedOne

Before you go permanantly mounting stuff, you might run some temporary hoses from the pump to the core, and see what it flows through the hose and the core. Bilge pumps stink once you put even a little amount of restriction on it, and looking at your core it looks like you would be expecting some pretty significant flow.
    I just said to hell with it and bought a Jabsco Water Puppy from a boating store to supply my Mondo cooler.. I cant remember the flow rate, but it is like 8gpm or so and it doesnt drop off with the restriction levels we will be experiancing.

7. WaterPog

I honestly doubt that there will be much restriction accross the core if any, those are 1" ins and outs on the top and bottom and I was running it through a 3/4" garden hose with about 2 feet of head before when I tested it. With the configuration in the car the hose is all larger and there is essentially zero net head, the water line on the cell is actually slightly above the top of the intercooler.

Worst case that vinyl hose is super cheap ($1.50/foot) and if I go to one of the jabsco pumps it'll fit right into where I've got the bilge pump mounted. I sealed up the pump and set it up to mount outside the tank so that I wouldn't have to worry about that.