1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Y-pipe/Merge pipe design

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by NGreen0807, Jul 9, 2013.

1. NGreen0807

Hello,

Just a brief question that I view to be pretty straight forward.

I'm mapping out the hot side for a DIY, single turbo setup on my Crown Victoria.

I plan to ditch my long tube headers, install stock manifolds and fabricate a 2.25" Y-pipe that would merge right under the bottom of the transmission bell housing into a single 2.5-3" pipe that would travel under the engine and come up to my turbo's location in the engine compartment.

My question is if wether or not this setup is ok? For the two cylinder banks (2V Ford) to merge under the car and travel together to the wastegate/turbo. Or should I be running two pipes to the turbo flange and merging there. My thought is that as long as I merge into an appropriately sized pipe it shouldn't matter where that merge happens but I am uncertain.

The goal for this car is 600-700whp

Thanks for reading, thanks in advance for any help you may be able to lend!

-Nick

2. stangman9897

Why are you running it back to the bell housing if the turbo is going to be up front ? why not flip a set of shorties or do logs, that's a lot of unneeded piping in my opinion.

3. NGreen0807

I understand your thinking. Unfortunately because I have a frame in the way my upper control arm brackets, ABS, P/S pump are all in the way for me to have a set of forward facing anything.

I'm not saying my idea is the only way, I'd hate to come off that way. Just trying to make the best of what I have.

4. Mike86Stang

How about flipping them.. so they point up and forward? Sorry I'm not terribly familiar with 2v/4v engines.

5. jaredsamurai

Without pics we're all taking shots in the dark

6. stangman9897

I wud think a Crown Vic with a 2V would have plenty of room. Any under hood pic's.

7. NGreen0807

Well let me take a couple photos this evening and I'll be able to show you in detail rather than try to explain it through text.

I appreciate the responses guys. I've gotten nothing but a hard time about this project elsewhere.

8. NGreen0807

Sorry for the delay everyone. Here's what I'm working with. Excuse the dirty engine bay!

Passenger side: No clearance problems at all. I could make something up nice for this side.

[​IMG]#ad

Drivers side: This is where I'm having my issues and no, I'm not going to run it off just one cylinder bank lol

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

If I did indeed run the hot side down and under the K-member does it matter where I make that merge? I've seen one other turbo Crown Victoria that was set up that way but I'm just trying to set this up the right way the first time.

Thanks!

9. jridenour31

Yeah, that driver's side is a mess if you don't want to rearrange a ton of crap. If I were you, I would run a stock manifold on the driver's side, run a 2" pipe from there, under the bellhousing, and into the back of a 2.5" log on the passenger side, and then to the turbo. It would cut down on a lot of piping over your idea and would completely avoid having to rearrange anything.