1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Plasti-Dip GT-R

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by stangman9897, Dec 25, 2012.

1. stangman9897

Shit i have seen it all now, painting your car with Plasti-dip. Good for the handles of tools but your car. Check out there site dipyourcar.com

2. Turbohwagon

I'm probably going to do this to my courier. It has an alright paint job on it, but it has some scratches from sitting in the previous owner's garage for 10 years. I'm too poor to pay someone to strip it all down and paint it again, and i like matte finishes so it only makes sense.

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Dipping parts has been out for a while. I can understand its application for some things... but dipping a GT-R seems cheesy to me.

4. MONTEGOD7SS

People have been doing wheels forever. Want them black today, no problem. Want them blaze orange tomorrow, no problem. I look at it like vinyl, something you can do to change the look of your car without doing it permanently.

5. Kerrdogg

That place is a few miles away from us, have been thinking about doing the Z in white, nice thing is it peels off, want to see what your wheels would look like black, $7 at Lowes and spray away like Monte said. I did our PRI display with it to try it our, takes a few coas to get good coverage, spent $35 on a refurbed Graco airless sprayer from Fbay, $200 in Dip and the Z should look good once I have the body work smoothed out.

6. mustang-junky

I may have to look into this. I like to change things up regularly so this stuff makes sense to me. Anyone know how long it lasts?

Jess

7. stangman9897

Damn i knew i shouldn't have posted that , you were supposed to say how crazy. :grin:

I was thinking if you can peel it off will it stay on a 200mph car ? blow your paint job off at the traps.

Remember it's not paint your car will look like rubber or plastic.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. mustang-junky

I ordered the matte black wheel kit. I was thinking of have my rims powder coated, but for less than $50 to my door I can see what it would look like, and I don't even have to dismount the tires. This may steamroll into doing the whole car.:laughhard:

Jess

9. stangman9897

Just thought , how do you wash it ? if you rub it very hard it will tear and peel .

10. Kerrdogg

It takes a bit to get it off, not like you are going to rob a bank and pull around the corner and pull it off and drive away in a different colored car. They offer a glossifier but I don't think it adds much to the shine, Fonzi, yes Fonzi at dip-your-car says it will last two or three years, touch up is pretty easy. Wash with soap and water with a micro fiber cloth. Think about how tough that stuff is on your pliers, an average car take 3 gallons of pre thinned dip and 3-4 decent coats for coverage that's a lot of material.

11. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I'd stick to using it under the hood - for instance covering exposed electrically hot studs on a junction box, sealing things against the elements, cosmetic in a few cases under the hood but only as the secondary function. On a Jeep or offroad vehicle, on certain exterior parts, yup.

No offense meant to anyone using it, my personal taste is the look is cheapo no matter how well done - the closer you get the more disappointing the look, like a woman with a padded bra.

12. stangman9897

That was my point, it's not going to look like paint !

13. mustang-junky

I am going to try the wheels and see how they turn out. The Billit Specialties rims on my big block car should look great matte black. I will see how it holds up. In the YouTube videos Fonzi is washing the blue car with a pressure washer, says it holds up fine. I would hesitate to do the whole car, all matte could get kinda boring. The car they did with the glossifyer looked bad, might be alright if you want a satin finish though. I did see a late model vette done all in satin black, it looked real mean, kinda like that Blackbird spy plane.

Jess

14. Kerrdogg

I used it our our mock up engine for our PRI display and it worked fine, was surprised it too three coats but it also fills in marks and scratches as it goes on, would be great for trying matte wheels and maybe on the rear lower 1/4 to protect against burn out rubber.

15. Briansshop

Post up some pics Jess, want to see!

16. stangman9897

Kinda like the guy that was going to roll his car that i caught all the shit over 3 years ago but he never did come back and post pic's of it. Shit i wonder why. lol

17. 74chlngrTT5.9

That's why they invented vehicle wraps.
    Cheaper than paint and allows you to change the look over and over.
    Wraps also will last around 3 years.

18. 32V

Im on the fence about the wrap thing... Ambulances at work were wrapped and ther are a ton of flaws with the job. Not sure if it were a crappy install job or if thats just the way they come out. Not expecting a paint like finish by any means... Just seems to be way too many bubbles and seams...

19. MONTEGOD7SS

Wraps are still $2k-$3k. Plasti-Dip is under $400. We aren't talking about dipping a car for a Ridler show, just screwing around and having fun.

20. mustang-junky

The pranking possibilities are endless. Make a stencil that says "I brake for penis" and visit you local Walmart parking lot.:)

Jess