1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Piston Selection: Manley or Diamond?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by DatCompound, Jun 23, 2014.

1. DatCompound

Looking to finally purchase pistons for my build, and figured I'd take one last stab at feedback for piston selection. Both Manley and Diamond seem to have the best reputations out of modular pistons. Currently I'm leaning toward Diamond due to the thicker ringlands/crowns, but from what I can tell I doubt I'll ever make enough power to even challenge either of the piston makes. I've tried searching for failures of either of the brands and they seem few and far between.

Any last thoughts before I plunk down the big bucks?

2. Jeremy

Both are good brands, I prefer and went with diamond, just make sure its a 2618 alloy whatever you decide to go with.

3. 91turboterror

Didn't 03-04 cobra come factory with Manley pistons & rods?

4. DatCompound

They came factory with Manley 4340 H-beam rods and Zollner 4032 pistons.

5. againstallodds1

I've been beating my Manley 2618 pistons pretty good for over 3 years. I go to track at least 4 times a month and always 9.6 - 10.0 passes.
    Use 2618 alloy and good tune/fuel and you should be good for a while.

6. 99TTGT

negative

they came with Mahle pistons

CobraManleyRods.jpg #ad

7. ng8264723

Zollner 4032 pistons never heard of those?
    I have diamonds in my 427 FE. They are going strong. A lot of the FE guys I know use them without issues.

8. rwon

4032 has a little less expansion then say a 2618, but not quite as durable due to higher silicon content. Quieter due to being able to run tighter clearances, at least during a cold start.

9. Roy

Too bad the Manley pistons don't come with valve notches. Wiseco, JE, and Diamond come pre-notched for any head. To notch the Manley pistons its $150 extra. So a set of 4V Manleys is $850. JE 4V piston are around $640 and its a great piston also.