1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Go a head and flame, need real answers without all the BS.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by FireChicken!, May 18, 2021.

1. FireChicken!

Dr. Bills are paid. Time to get back to the bird.

Im used to efi, standalones or bandaids on turbo Miatas.

That said, I am the sole provider working many hours, and dont have endless weeks to figure this out; searching literally countless threads that dont answer my questions.

So here is the setup and the dumb questions...

Im using hanger 18 to blow through my 750DP.

I have a Pontiac 455/TH400. Mild cam and set somewhere around 400+hp, msd 6a1 and mallery distributor.
    I want to lock out the timing. Later I'll add a boost referanced timing device.

S475 or S480 turbo, no intercooler.

Ive noticed its expensive for a name brand fuel system.
    Ive seen your formula. I only want 5 psi to start. No more than 7 when finished.

So do I have to get a electric fuel pump. Or is there a certain mechanical fp that will work well with a frp?

If I have to do electric, what is the cheapest option that has been dependable for yall.

I dont mind using used either.

If I can't get out cheap, Ill just get the micro megasquirt and a LS 8.2 efi.

I would rather stay carbed, and simple bandaids.
    Thanks

2. FireChicken!

Moderator: I believe this could go in 2 or three other areas. Could you please place this post in the correct section you prefer. Thank you!

3. B E N

If your fuel pump has enough flow you can stay mechanical, refer to post 3 of this thread: https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/boost-referenced-mechanical-fuel-pump.314799/

You need to make sure you have enough fuel line size to make this happen, a turbo 455 is not going to be happy on stock 5/16 hard line. You also may find you need a pusher near the tank to prevent vapor lock.

And check your attitude. Most of the people on this particular forum are friendly and helpful. Flaming is not really a thing here.

Briansshop likes this.
  4. 20112011Cummins

Sounds like a really cool project. What year? Maybe post some pics if you can.

5. flyinhillbilly

Something I used to do when I was young and broke was use two frame mount fuel pumps for a 93 f350 with a 460. I ran dual feed lines to the pumps, and dual lines to a boost referenced regulator, then a single 3/8 as a return. It never let me down, and supported a lot more power than what you’re talking about.

B E N likes this.