1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

help with picking the right mega squirt

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by notchrocket, Oct 17, 2014.

1. notchrocket

hey guys was going to go blow through but leaning towards mega squirt, not sure what would be best for me.
    90 mustang budget build
    I have no engine harness or ecu , I can get harness do I need it and do I need a reg ford ecu also?
    351 turbo combo , I already have a msd digital 7 and hvc coil , like to use that for ignition and should I buy it put together already ?

2. 87ponygt

I bought a mspnp and I like it so far. Lots of features and I had the base tune running in a matter of a couple hours with 0 tuning ability.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_ford_mustang_5_0.htm

This was recommended to me by the guy that was going to be tuning the car so I trusted his knowledge plus it has built in features like 3 step, boost controller, runs hi/low impedance injectors.

3. notchrocket

87pony , are you still running your stock ecu and factory engine harness? and is it pretty easy to put together

4. 87ponygt

No this replaces the stock ecu. Yes im running the stock engine harness and this is literally a pnp version. Unbolt the stock comp and connect the ms and start playing with the software and entering the peramiters of your motor and injectors and there's your base tune.

5. Mnlx

If you have no harness, a ms2 would work fine. It took me a full 8hrs to build one, and it was my first, and even complete units may need mods depending on a few things.

6. ashford

cant go wrong with an ms3, has a more rich feature set than most of the big guys, it can be easily modified to run different engines(no need to send back to manufacutere with $) i bought the ms3 when it first came out to run a 347, later upgraded to ls coils, then a mod motor on a turbo and now a coyote running the ti-vct all on the same unit.

7. notchrocket

Thanks guys i figured i could make a harness or take a old one and get rid of what i dont need . i know a little about fast which is on my other car. On mega squirt can i just run speed density ? and a wideband instead of regular o2s? so that would eliminate factory o2 harness , so really need some gm connectors and sensors and driver to run ford iac or delete it all together. How hard are these units to put together and what is a good place to buy the unit?

8. Harry6674

Check out diyautotune. They have everything megasquirt.

9. Matt Cramer

Yes, that's what most MegaSquirt users opt to do.

Yep, you can run a wideband and no stock narrow band.

I'd use the IAC; it's easy to control and there's no real advantage to removing it.

Figure on around 10-12 hours to solder together an MS2 V3.0 if you know the basics of soldering and don't try to use the lead free, politically correct solder (I figure if you actually know how to get good results with lead free stuff, you probably wouldn't be asking. :D). Leaded solder is way easier to use.

As I work for DIYAutoTune.com, I'm a bit biased. :)

10. notchrocket

thanks matt , no problem figured i want to purchase from someone that can help when the time comes, what difference in ms2 ms3 and pnp ? can i data log with either of these or just a feature on pnp2?

11. Matt Cramer

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  12. supedstang

Hows it going Lawrence, got the car up and running good yet? I tried the tune you sent me but it seems the diypnp and the mspnp2 are different, so it didnt work.
    When I tried to run mine, it flooded out and hydrolocked one of the cylinders, so I put the pms back on it.

13. Patriotstang

Matt would you mind contacting me in regards to the Megasquirt? 940.867.0465 thanks

14. Matt Cramer

Just checking - were you the one I called yesterday?

15. Patriotstang

Yes sir