1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY MPT70 85 Notch Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Nov 17, 2008.

1. franktf

I bought this car a little over a year ago as a stock 4 banger/auto 85 Notch..... It has gone through alot of changes since I picked it up, I have basically redone everything in the car except the paint.....

Here's a little run down on whats done to the car:

Fornt subframe was stripped and all the seams have been stitch welded for strength
    AJE K-member and control arms
    UPR castor/camber plates
    coil over conversion with strange adjustable struts
    Aerospace brakes
    UPR manual master cyl conversion
    Fluidyne Radiator
    Weld in frame connectors
    Rear torque boxes completely welded
    8.8 with welded axle tubes
    4.10 gear soon to be changed to 3.27
    31 spline axles and full spool
    UPR double adjustale UCA's with Sperical bushings
    Southside lowers with welded brackets and raised rear mounting point
    UPR Anti-Roll Bar
    Homebuilt C4 with PA manual valvebody and fully rollerized planetaries
    FRPP aluminum driveshaft
    Trunk floor cut out with aluminum fuel cell sunk in
    Trunk mount battery
    Interior is completely redone with Kirkey Pro Drag/Street aluminum seats
    89 dash conversion
    Chromolly cage
    Weld Superlite big and littles

So basically everything is done on the car except for some good power..... I have started collecting some parts together for the tubo build, but it is going to take a little time cause we are on the as funds allow time line.....

Here's what I have so far:

A very clean standard bore 5.0 shortblock(only has about 3000 miles)
    New oil pan on the way
    MPT70 on the way thanks to VSRacing
    FRPP X303 Aluminum Heads on the way
    I also have a set of BBK shorties(but I am thinking about building my own headers)????

I have done everything on the car to this point except the chromolly cage, I had to farm that out mainly because I don't have a tig.....

I will update this thread a progress is made..... Here's some pic's of the car.....

Picture 0140.jpg #ad

Picture 0141.jpg #ad

Picture 0148.jpg #ad

Picture 0144.jpg #ad

Picture 0145.jpg #ad

Picture 0142.jpg #ad

Picture 0143.jpg #ad

2. domn8rx

Been there done that...Again?

I love that car!!!!!

3. franktf

:noidea: you know how I am..... :stupid:

4. domn8rx

Blow-thru?

5. franktf

I think so, but I have made no final decision on that yet..... I was thinking mabye EFI but I would have to buy everything to do it, and that can get pricey.....

6. franktf

I got some parts this week, so I was able to do a little work on it..... The heads, turbo, oil pan and a few little pieces made it..... So I cleaned the block and timing cover up, then put the crank in, timing cover on, pan on, water pump and the heads on..... I also put it in the car so I will be able to start fabbing the hot side as soon as some more stuff gets here.....

Picture 0151.jpg #ad

Picture 0149.jpg #ad

Picture 0153.jpg #ad

Picture 0154.jpg #ad

7. 86sspcoupe

Do you have any pics of the dash,where the A-pillar bars go thru it?

8. franktf

These are the best shots I have right now..... but the car does not have the stock dash, it has an 88 dash in it..... I could not make the stock dash look decent with the bars going through it so I decided to just change it.....

Picture 0111.jpg #ad

Picture 0116.jpg #ad

Picture 0144.jpg #ad

9. boostedtorino

looks good man ... :2thumbs: :chacha:

10. jay_rich

Wooot 4 eyed stang! Awesome build. I was looking for a 4 eyed stang for a while but wanted an iroc more soooo. yeaaa. lol Awesome cars tho.

Jay

11. Silverfox

Nice car! Looks a lot better than my 85 LX!

12. franktf

Thanks.....

It has started, the old 1 step forward and 2 steps back..... :bang: I did not like the poor quality of the X303 heads, they had some issues and I will not be bothered with them..... I sold them and now have a nice reliable set of Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Aluminum heads on the way.....

I have also made the decision to atleast attempt to build my own headers along with the rest of the kit..... So I ordered a set of 1/2" thick header flanges, just need to get some tubing on the way too..... We will just have to see how it all turns out..... :noidea:

13. 99TTGT

do you have pics of the seat brakets?

14. franktf

Sorry, but I just looked and can't find any pic's of the seat brackets..... They are just the factory ones with a couple new mounting holes for the Kirkey seats in them.....

15. domn8rx

Anything new?

john

16. franktf

Waiting on stuff to build the hot side to get here..... I've got some stuff now like 1/2" header flanges, collectors, v-band clamps, a couple 3.5" u bends for the down pipe, and of course a MPT70 turbo..... The rest of the header bends will be here Monday, and I am going to order the wastegate on Monday.....

Then mabye I can get started :welder: I plan on getting some work done on it during X-mas shout down.....

I still have alot of other stuff to buy, we will just have to see if the old job holds out for a while longer..... Otherwise this might take a little time..... We will just have to see how it goes.....

17. domn8rx

I hear yea on the job thing... Things are slow at our shop too....

Love the cage, did NBS do it?

18. franktf

Yes, NBS did the cage..... Andrew did a great job..... He got everything real tight against the interior trim, I haven't seen another fox with the a-pillar bars near as close fitting..... :2thumbs:

19. MiaBlackStang

Car looks very clean! :2thumbs:

20. franktf

Thanks

I finally got enough pieces together, and some time to get started on this thing..... I wanted to make a bracket on this one to help support the weight of the turbo on this one, so that is what I started with today..... It needed to be attached to the motor because my motor does move around a little due to it being mounted with some very firm urathane bushings.....

This is what I did today..... I think I need to move it a little closer to the passenger side and down mabye a 1/2" or so..... I will look at it a little closer tomorrow..... I also can't decide if I want to run the down pipe across the engine conpartment and down the driver side of the car, this of course will be much straighter coming out of the turbo - the other option is to use basically a 180 deg to go down and back under the turbo, and the run the exhast down the pass side.....

Some pic's so far.....

Picture 167.jpg #ad

Picture 168.jpg #ad

Picture 169.jpg #ad

Picture 170.jpg #ad

Picture 171.jpg #ad