1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

No Power when hot

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by turbotaz, Sep 11, 2006.

1. turbotaz

Car: 95 Mustang GT, 5.0, 5Speed
    Mods: Flowmasters (yeah, that's it for now)

Issue: If I drive the car for a short distance (5-10 miles) and the car gets up to operating temp. I stop and run in the store, come back out and start the car, it starts up ok. Sometimes it will die out, but will start right back up. You can give it gas and it revs up seemingly normal. If I left out the clutch it will die immediately. It will start right back up, if I rev it up to about 2k and slowly let out the clutch it will start to go, but it runs like a 3 legged horse in the mud. If I let it sit idling for about 3 minutes it will go again.

I did check last night and there is some crossfire and arcing from the plug wires to block. I am going to get some new wires. I did notice also that there seems to be arcing around the coil. it arc from the coil part to the metal frame around it.

Anyone have any ideas as to other things I need to look at.
    Thanks

2. turbo crazy

sure i bet its been awhile since you have done a regular tune up.

check the filters air and fuel
    spark plugs the basic shit
    change the wires, module, etc
    set base to 15*

3. Red91StangCT

Wow, slow down there. Those cars run hypers, 15 deg is a lot of base. You want to start at 8 or so and work your way up from there. I got my up to 12 w/out detonation, but that was with a WELL and healthy ignition system based on a msd coil and dig6. As he said, do the dumb stuff first, filter/plugs/wires/coil. Check the Ignition module also.

4. stanggod

Hypers or not,it's a basically stock 5.0 and unless it has other than stock compression it should take 15* without a problem.

5. Bobby

I agree, i had 14* of timing on my 88 lx (mostly stock), and i remember running around on 87 octane like that. Dum 17 year old.

6. turbo crazy

i ran 15* on all 3 mustangs i had for base with no isses. all stock in the begining i ran 18* locked on my GTS mustang with 12psi boost and hyper they were fine