1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what u guys think of this turbo 4 a stock bottom end 302 ???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jaywill, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jaywill

2. blacksaleen95

ebay and turbos are not a good mix. Don't waste your money on some 2nd hand pos, or some ebay "deal"

Most of the "off the shelf" ebay jobbers, besides being pieces of shit, are also too small and not efficient.

Masterpower t70's have been proven time and time again, and at ~530, you cannot get a better deal for a stock/h/c/i 302. Do yourself a favor, save the headaches with the ebay trash, and pickup a mpt70 from one of the site sponsors.

3. tmc4065

Is today the "hate on EBAY" day and only a select few got the memo?

An actual answer to your question is:

Holset makes solid turbos and many of them can be used on "junkyard" style builds.
    Any of the Holset H - (number) - (letter), like the H1C, turbos are early 90s technology but can be had for relatively cheap as you can see on here and on ebay. Also the rebuild kits for almost all of the Holset turbos can be had for under $100, which is unheard of for the CAT/Detroit Diesel stuff. Also, in my area there are quite a few companies who can rebuild them as well as a number of online businesses who rebuild them for cheap.

The H1C evolved into the HX35 (late 90s tech) and the compressor maps I have seen are probably too small for a single on a 302 unless its simply a bone stock deal, you got the turbo for dirt cheap, and you don't care to make over 400rwhp.

The next size up from the H1C is the H1E/HX40 and can support 450-500rwhp depending on your setup.

I literally just posted the same setup in another thread but my junkyard $80 H1E made 505rwhp with a stock 302, f-cam, ported e7s, through a t5.

Is holset the best option? Of course not . . . however if you have the capabilities and tools to do it yourself than you can build a kit for a heck of a lot less than buying one.

4. testchimp

I have a nice holset hy35 i could sell for less than that turbo. It has the smaller turbine housing so it might be a choke up high but it can be swapped easy.

5. jaywill

more info..and pm price....

6. Olee Poole

Did you find a Holset turbo?

The HY-35 has a 9cm.. and there is not any larger ex housings for them..

7. 73maro511TT

yes there are. the 16 cm housing originally found on an HX35 will work on an HY

8. Olee Poole

HY35 exhaust housing is held on by a V-band.. your only choice is a 9cm wastegated housing..

HX35 is held by 4 bolts.. And can get 12,14,16,18.5 and 21cm non-wategated housing.. Or 12cm and 14cm wategated housing.